We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltra (GPS) to San Cristobal

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Baltra (GPS) to San Cristobal

I already have the tickets to Baltra. Looks like most of the cruises that cover all the islands depart from San Cristobal. Let's say if I want to go from GPS to San Cristobal, I can take the flight ($200 one way) or boat (3 hrs ~$40). Is it worth the trouble..! Also, are these boats or ferry with some fixed schedule..? Thanks in advance.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baltra (GPS) to San Cristobal

Normally you would book a cruise and then get the flight to match it so that you arrive on the same flight as everyone else for the same cruise.

I am not sure of the exact time for the boats to San Cristobal but they are normally arranged so that you can get from Baltra to Puerto Ayora in time to take the boat on the same day. Also the return is normaly very early morning so you can get the late flight from Baltra. You would then need to stay in San Cristobal overnight as you would not be in time for a cruise leaving the same day. You need to purchase the boat ticket in advance which may not be easy if you are not in the islands - try your cruise operator.

The internal flights have small luggage allowance (total 15Kg including all carry-ons and there are no overheads). Everything is weighed and there is no guarantee that you can take more than the allowance.

If you have more than 1 bag on the boat, you may be charged extra.

Not sure which islands you require but try the Beagle from Baltra - but note its a different itinerary on alternate weeks. One week does Genovesa and Fernandina in the same week.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baltra (GPS) to San Cristobal

Hi. There are plenty of boats leaving from either island that offer good itineraries without having to inter-island on your own too much. In order to take the speed boat, you´d have to travel down from Baltra to Puerto Ayora (bus-ferry-bus) which takes about 1.5 hours total transfer time.

Inter-island speed boats:

Boats to San Cristobal leave Puerto Ayora at 2pm, and leave San Cristobal at 7 am daily. The cost is $25-$30 one way. The ride can be rough, depending on the weather and the boat, so if you tend to get sea sick, this is one ride you will definitely need to take a sea sickness tablet for. Be sure to bring a water proof jacket or poncho with a hood, too.

Your best bet in my opinion would be to find a cruise departing from Baltra. (as posted above, generally you book the cruise first and match up the flights). Get in touch with your tour operator of choice in order to confirm that your arrival and departure flight times coincide with your final cruise desicion before booking!

good luck and have a great time!

Inter-island flights with EMETEBE:

International tourists pay $158 dollars one way, or $260 return, and are permitted to restricted amount of luggage.

Baltra to San Cristobal: 10:30am

San Cristobal to Baltra: 8:00am

3. Re: Baltra (GPS) to San Cristobal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 12, 2011