We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

buenos aires...
4 posts
Save Topic
What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

Hello! What is the best/cheapest way for two people to get to the Galapagos Islands from mainland Ecuador? Flight? Boat? We would be going in December of this year.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

It's over 600 miles from the islands to the mainland. Air travel is your best bet--TAME, Aerogal, LAN.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

Not only is a flight your best bet--it's your only way to get there. Fares are around $350-400, plus the $100 park entrance.

buenos aires...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

thank you both!!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

HI jane, (and others who may be interested!)

There seems to currently be discounted flights with LAN if you book on line through the ICARO website: www.icaro.aero Special rate at $149.99 US, plus tax comes to $199.99 return. I didn´t believe it myself today when someone mentioned it to me! The departure times are really early.... however, the savings would make up for an early start!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

Whoa, that's an incredible price! So will this be a LAN flight, or an Icaro? Icaro's planes give me the creeps.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

I must admit AZ, using an airline named after the Greek legend of the boy who flew too close to the sun, lost his feathers, and came crashing back to his death is certainly not too reassuring!! I've always wondered what may have motivated these people to use that name... anyone have any answers??

Warmest regards to all,

Heather Blenkiron

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

No ideas on why they chose that name.... Definitely an odd choice! The planes seem to be all LAN, and LAN now has an office here in Puerto Ayora. I presume that ICARO has some sort of arrangement for selling the LAN tickets. Just don´t wear feathers, I suppose! ;)

Argentina
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

Consulta el usd 199 es para pasajeros ecuatorianos o para todos? los de esta empresa estan tan buenos como los de lan?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

Si, el costo es para todos, incluyendo extranjeros...los cupos son limitados, y los horarios no convienen con algunos horarios de salida de cruceros desde Baltra.

10. Re: What is the best way to get to Galapagos from mainland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 am, July 10, 2011