We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Islands.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos Islands.

In cost terms for the Galapagos on a budget, which is best, booking a tour on line, or flying out and getting a tour at the harbour.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos Islands.

Dear Newpacker,

you can definitely get better deals (e.g. last minute) on site. The problem is you don't know what you'll get, and you'll be under a lot of pressure to take whatever comes along with little time to research the quality of the proposal - unless you have the luxury of spending several days in Puerto Ayora (Galapagos) picking and choosing.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Ayora
Puerto Ayora
Santa Cruz, Ecuador
Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos Islands.

Booking ahead doesn't necessarily mean paying more. Check out the cruise company's websites. With the economy the way it is, most companies are running great special offers. Some rates are even cheaper for 2009 than they were in 2008. For example, you can get airfare to the Galapagos on the Quasar Expeditions website and Latin Trails offers last minute booking discounts. It pays to look around.

Mentioned in this post
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos Islands.

I the pass week is been allot of reports of the conditions and the management of some boats in Galapagos.

The destination is not cheap just think that the cost of the flight is $410 in hight season and the entrance is another $110, I will definally research for a good company that ofer from turist superior to luxury class boats, dont go for the cheaps one you will get what you pay...

I suggest that you should bock online, check www.galapagosboats.travel they offer 2 x 1 our www.boutiquetravel.net they have also have excellent options.

You may get good option in galapagos direct but its just a question of luck sometimes.

good luck

AC

Mentioned in this post
New York City
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapagos Islands.

I would fly out ,then book once there. The prices are pretty much set, but you can shop around...of course if they're still available. I had no problem doing what I wanted, but I went in May (considered the lower season). I think you'll be ok....you can try to go to the harbour to try and get a last minute deal, but not secure enough for me. Like slipping the first-mate a fifty might do the trick, but hoo knows right? Work it thru the hotel u r staying with and go from there.......i booked my hotel online and asked about the day trips thru online, and they hooked me up.....anything else just ask. Just book the first couple nites, ask about day trips. once there shop around (because your first day there is wasted anyway) , so may as well shop around while walking darwin ave......right? it takes all of a half hour to see what Puerto Ayora is all about anyway

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Ayora
Puerto Ayora
Santa Cruz, Ecuador
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galapagos Islands.

I agree, i certainly don't think booking in advance is necessarily more costly. now is a good time to look for all kinds of deals. obviously, there are a bunch of companies, but here are a couple I've heard positive things about recently:

latinamericandestinations.com/html/galapagos…

galapagosexpeditions.com/tabs/evolution.php

i encourage you to look through your options extensively in order to find the best deals though. but a start's a start. Good luck!

Ecuador
Level Contributor
239 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galapagos Islands.

Book online, secure what you want and you will get pretty much the same price

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galapagos Islands.

Just returned from a three week work/play trip to the Galapagos. Before I went I contacted an American woman down there who started her own travel service in the Galapagos. Getting around there is not hard but it's not easy by any means. There are daily boats back and forth and plenty of small hotels but there's not a real good way to find out about the hotels once you get there. Some are not online, some barely have phones and if they do, no one answers.

Leslie at divethegalapagos.com was great! She organized a great dive trip that took us from island to island. But she knows the islands and the business and should be a great resource in helping you figure out an itenerary.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galapagos Islands.

Fly there from Mainland and do it independently. It is the cheapest option pure and simple, regardless of what you hear.

It isn't difficult to do like some make it sound. I did that last February and had a great time solo. I flew from Quito to PA, and had 8 nights to play with. I had many options from the tour companies in PA, all with great last minute prices. I also did simple day trip to some islands, that were really nice. Fact is I ended up on boats with people who had booked in advance, even just in Quito, and I was paying in some cases half what they had.

This does require due diligence, patience etc... But that's what I liked about it, I got to write my own Itinerary. Go advance if you want a simple, no work, assured trip and you have plenty of money and a strict timeframe to work with. If money means more to you, as it does to myself, and you got some time., go do it yourself you won't regret it!

Good luck

CK

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
9. Re: Galapagos Islands.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 13, 2010