We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

Hi All, we are a family of two adults and two kids ages 9 and 11. I am leaning towards these two larger vessels for the kid fun factor and my sea sickness factor. Can anyone compare the pros and cons of these two vessels?

Also, I live in Los Angeles and do not know if I can trust booking through small interent vendors who in turn make their bookings directly with Quito vendors. Any thoughts about bookings? Thank you in advance

Ecuador
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

Book with the Explorer. Its much newer and nicer. Also is definetely more child friendly. You can book on line from USA or directly book with small operators in Quito. Regards.

columbia, SC
Level Contributor
53 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

I just returned from the Legend with my 13 and 9 year olds. The Legend could not have been better for the kids - they were treated royally and had a great time. Can't comment on any other ship, but the Legend was super with kids

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

Dear Gabi -

what you see from the two previous posts reflects the fact that people can only provide feedback on one particular ship, and cannot provide a comparative analysis. Clearly, in both cases, people were thrilled by their experience and speak well for kid programmes. Both ships are owned and operated by Ecuadorian companies (Metropolitan for the Explorer, Klein Tours for the Legend).

At this point, I would suggest you compare prices and itineraries, and enquire directly with the companies to get further details on kids programmes and other points of interest for you. As noted in an earlier post, for kids under 12, you should be able to get some price concessions, at the very least, on the flight to the islands (50% reduction) and on the park entrance fee (again, 50% reduction). These ships will likely offer a reduced child rate as well (e.g. about 30% off - but double check).

You'll have an unforgettable family experience!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
244 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

hi gabi, we just returned from a voyage on the explorer II. we are also from l.a. and booked through wildlife vacations in san diego. got a great deal, much better than what was being offered for the same week on the legend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

Hi We did a one week cruise on the Explorer 11. The excursions were very good and the food on board was excellent for this class of ship.

However, watch out for cabin allocation !!

We paid for the top level but were allocated a down grade cabin on arrival.

We made our disappointment known to the reception staff but all that started was a war of attrition.

We were left in the cabin they had allocated for nearly an hour and if I hadn't gone back to reception a number of times threatening to make a fuss in front of other arrivals they would have left us there no doubt hoping we would cave in and accept the low grade accommodation.

Eventually we were shown another cabin - still a grade down from what we had paid for.

We initially refused this as it wasn't what we had paid for but were told that the ship was waiting to sail and unless we accepted the cabin they were offering we would be put ashore.

We were also told we had to sign a disclaimer form waiving any form of compensation for being down-graded.

I reluctantly signed it stating on the form that I was being forced to do so and that I was very unhappy with their actions.

However, what really hacked us off was finding that a couple of "cabaret" performers who organised the HiDeHi activities on board had been allocated one of the cabins that we had paid for !!!!!

On our return to the UK our travel agent, Trailfinders, took up the case with the operators of the ship but have never got a reply from them.

So, beware !

My advice ? only buy the cheapest cabin - that way they can't down grade you

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

Hi,

Thanks for the last post. That is very troubling when you do not get what you paid for!!! I have a few questions. We leave a week from today and wanted to know while it is fresh in your memories what we should bring that has not already been mentioned. How were the snorkel masks and wet suits they provided? How was the water temperature? Any jellies? Also, did the ship pitch much, anone get sick on board from rocking? Finally, any thoughts specific for the kids 9 & 11.

I hope you continue to remember the trip with fond memories.

Thank you for the all the feedback.

Gabi

Chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

I share your concern of paying for a very expensive trip upfront to an unknown or less well-known entity. That is part of the reason I booked with Celebrity. I have seen nothing but positive reviews on this and other forums. I will post my experience after my trip.

Ecuador
Level Contributor
239 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

Both boats are great, they offer very similar experiences for kids. google them check their websites and look at the pictures of social areas.

I know both boats and have booked both with great reviews from my clients.

The Legend has a child room The Explorer has activities for kids, Legend has a dipping pool the Explorer a Jacuzzi, both offer kids menus and are very safe. Regarding seasickness a larger boat does not move less... this is only during navigation, larger boats have to anchor in open seas so movement is 24/7, on a smaller yacht you anchor within a bay with swimming pool calm waters and no movement during meals... there is a big widesread misperception that larger boats are best to avoid seasickness (yes of course if it is Royal Caribean 3000 passenger boat, in Galapagos these are 100 passenger boats and they move a little less than yachts but they move).

Who to book with?

Google with the words galapagos cruises the top 10 on the first page are all good tour operators, very reputable.

Good luck

9. Re: MV Explorer II verses Galapagos Legend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:32 am, February 24, 2010