We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

I have just started researching the Galapagos Islands as a possible honeymoon destination, and I was wondering about the safety of the trip. From what I gather, everything is fine, but I'd like to hear some reports from people who have been there. Did you feel safe wandering around all areas you visited, and in Quito if you travelled via there?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

The most common comment I heard from the locals in the Galapagos was "This is not the mainland", meaning that they believed it was safer on the islands. However, I felt quite safe wandering around Quito's central shopping district in the early evening. Most of my "wandering" in the Galapagos was confined to Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

I felt perfectly safe in the islands. I have walked and cycled in the towns and highlands on Santa Cruz and around the town on San Cristobal. I did read one article that suggested you shouldn't do the long lonely walk to Tortuga Bay on your own as there had been "occasional incidents" but I did and had no problems.

The more remote islands you will only get to on a cruise or organised day tour and so will be with a guide and a group anyway.

I didn't have any problems in Quito either but as with any large city, I was cautious about where I walked at night and didn't flash money or valuables around.

I have never stayed in Gauyaquil (alternative to Quito) but our guide suggested it was not very safe and that you shouldn't wear or carry anything of value.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Galapagos are safe. You have to travel considerable distances by boat between the islands and most are uninhabited by humans. The wildlife is friendly. We loved it. I would book a boat of approx 16 people.

We felt safe in Quito. You have to be sensible as anywhere.

Albany NY
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Our daughter just spent 4 months studying in Ecuador.1 month in Quito and 3 months on San Cristobal.The Galapagos Islands are beautiful and she felt very safe while on the islands.In Quito though you need to be careful.One of the girls in her group was robbed at knifepoint. We went down to visit her and one of the tourists on our boat was robbed of his expensive camera while someone helped him clean up after "accidentally running into him and spilling food on him." This was also in Quito.As the above poster said, I wouldn't carry or flash around anything expensive.Just take the usual precautions as you would in any big city and just stay alert.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

We felt safe both in Quito and on the Islands. We were aware of our surroundings and just treated it as any big city.

Since you are planning your honeymoon, I would double check that any boat you book for the Galapagos has a double bed and not bunk beds. I know many of the smaller boats have bunk beds.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Thanks everyone for your responses, they have all been helpful.

7. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 22, 2009