We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the weather like in August In galapagos

essex
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
whats the weather like in August In galapagos

We want to go to the Galapagos Islands at the end of July to mid August but have heard that this is not the best time to visit the galapagos islands as the sea can be rough. Can anyone tell me if this is correct please?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats the weather like in August In galapagos

Dear Beryl,

it's true that the seas are roughest in Sept-Oct, and calmest in Jan-May. So you are getting into the rougher seas by August. However, "rough" is not to be mistaken with the north Atlantic! Winds are typically light in the islands, and the worst you'll get is a pronounced chop with the usual swells (even on calm days there are swells) - no major crashing waves etc...

In August, you can expect cooler evenings (e.g. bring a warm sweater, light windbreaker, long pants), but the days will be warm under the equatorial sun.

Have a great trip!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
429 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats the weather like in August In galapagos

We were in the galapagos 10 days ago. I wouldn't call it rough at sea . During the day we were visiting islands or snorkeling. The weather was shorts and T shirt weather. At night we wore trousers and jeans or track pants. It was not cold as New Zealanders know it at all. We thought it would be and did not wear warm clothes at all.

We used wet suits when snorkelling but the water was not what we call cold.

One night we had a 6 hour trip between islands. Apparently it was rough. I took a sea sickness tablet and went to sleep!!

Take tablets or patches and you will be OK. The Galapagos are fantastic

3. Re: whats the weather like in August In galapagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:53 pm, September 22, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whats the weather like in August In galapagos

WE visited in the summer several years ago, seas were okay except one day/night we had very rough seas.

If you are snorkelling I would VERY STRONGLY suggest at least a shorty wet suit. I am very used to cold water but that summer the water was very cold, the only people who stayed in were those with some kind of a suit (the shorty was fine, pretty cheap and light weight), and the snorkelling was FABULOUS. Our tour company suggested we bring them and I am very thankful. We snorkelled with sea lions, penquins, hammerheads, a large ray, etc.

5. Re: whats the weather like in August In galapagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 23, 2009