We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos oslands with children

NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos oslands with children

Would love some input on going to the Galapagos with children and what tour operators (International Adventures, Mountain Travel sobek) offer the best safe adventure experiences.

Also any recommendations on specific boats or size boats to take to avoid sea sickness?

Was the trip worth the expense?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos oslands with children

We did the Celebrity Xpedition cruise and it was great. It is one of the larger ships and seasickness was not a problem. There were a few families on board with children ranging in age from about 10 -18, but only about 8 chuildren in total.

I would highly recommend the Xpedition if you children are not in the toddler age.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos oslands with children

Dear LPP -

I took my 6 month old on a cruise back in early 2000 - but that was exceptional (I chartered the ship!). I would not recommend taking kids below 7-8 years old. Don't forget, you are on a ship... kids take off in a flash - you don't want to be forever fretting. From 7-8 onwards, you should think about your kids' personalities.. will they enjoy a guided hike that can last well over an hour; listening to a guide talk about natural history? Do they swim? A good thing if they do, as opportunities abound. You will be responsible for "keeping them in line" and respecting the park rules. If your kids are into their teens, that shouldn't be too much of a challenge I suppose (my 2 boys, 5 and 8, would be a handful I think!).

If seasickness is a particular worry, then the bigger the better (though that's no guarantee). If you are no more prone that the next person, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Several small ships offer family cruises (e.g. during March break etc.) making it easier for your kids to connect with others of their age.

Readers of Trip Advisor know that I am partial to smaller ships, as they provide you with a great sense of intimacy with the islands (e.g. you are not among 90 other people embarking, disembarking etc...). Intimacy with the rawness of nature in Galapagos, in my mind, is what it's all about over there - it's still possible to feel what the first humans possibly felt when they first set eyes on this remote rocks back in 1535. Larger ships will give you more deck space, and, save for some nice luxury small ships, more amenities. But in the end, I encourage people to focus on what's out there, and not what's on board (e.g. I understand that Celebrity Xpedition runs Karaoke nights on board...... ).

Good luck finding a suitable cruise. The operators you note are experienced and should be able to guide you.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos oslands with children

Austin-Lehman Travel has family Galapagos trips. I am sheduled to take one in Feb 08 so I can't tell you if it is any good yet, but they have been very professional and informative during the booking process.

4. Re: Galapagos oslands with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 09, 2009