We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On the Estrella del Mar during Christmas

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
On the Estrella del Mar during Christmas

Hello! We have booked the Estrella del Mar yacht for a 7 day Galapagos tour during Christmas this year and have a few questions. Any input is appreciated!

1) weather on the islands (approximate)? I hear it is the rainy season, and we'll have a rain jacket, but is it cold and rainy or warm rain like Hawaii can get?

2) water temp, necessary for a wetsuit? We plan on snorkeling, hopefully everyday.

3) is the water rough going? meaning, will it be likely that those of us that are prone to motion sickness, get seasick? Comparitively, a friend went in August and got really sick as there was some rough waves (apx. 10 feet high). Is the end of December more rough or less?

4) Anyone been on the Estrella del Mar? The boat holds 16 pax, but so far we only have 8 people going.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge....

Enchanted Expeditions
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Galapagos For You
Horseback Riding Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: On the Estrella del Mar during Christmas

Hello Manateegirl!

I lived in the Galapagos (Isla Santa Cruz) back in the 1960's long before it became a big tourist attraction. I think the island had maybe 400 inhabitants back then, and it was a fascinating place to live.

I lived and worked at the Hotel Galapagos for the father of a friend who owned the hotel. Jack Nelson was the friend, and he has taken over the running of the hotel from his father, Forrst.

Here's what I remember:

Whenever it did rain, the temperature was not cold. It's more like Hawaii during its rainy season, or like many tropical islands in the winter: wet, windy, slightly chilly, but not cold. The temps are great all year long.

The water temps can be a tad nippy, so yes, a wetsuit can't hurt. I never needed one, but some people are more sensitive to slightly cooler water. You may not need it, but what the heck.

And yes, the seas can get rough, and those that normally are prone to sea sickness should take their medications along.

Here's some weather related links:

I've read good reports about the Estrella del Mar, but I've never been on it personally.

I'm sure that you will have a great adventure if you remember that Galapagos is a completely different experience than any other place you can visit.

It's a magical place.

If I can be of any further help just let me know at jeremynoodnic@hotmail.com because I prolly won't be back to this forum anytime soon.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On the Estrella del Mar during Christmas

Jeremy - Thank you for the great message. We are so excited to go! This year, Christmas cannot come soon enough! Thank you for the invaluable information.

3. Re: On the Estrella del Mar during Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, September 10, 2009