We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Today, the Galapagos National Park Service published a summary of the 2018 visitor statistics on its FaceBook page.

Total tourist arrivals in 2017: 241,800

Total tourist arrivals in 2018: 275,817

Year on year visitation growth: 14%

Given that ship based tourism is flat at about 71,000, that translates into about a 20% year on year growth rate for land based visitation.

Visitors come from:

Ecuador (34 %) , USA (28 %) , UK (5 %) , Germany (4 %) , Canada (3 %) , Australia (3 %) , Argentina, France, Netherlands and Spain (2 % each) .

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Edited: 3:44 pm, January 31, 2019
9 replies to this topic
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
74 reviews
84 helpful votes
1. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Interesting reading (I always like reading statistics).

I was surprised at the low percentage from the UK, it makes my partner and I feel very privileged to be able to make it (finally).

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
255 posts
75 reviews
95 helpful votes
2. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

When you sday ship based, Heather, does that include all the small boats with a dozen or so passengers ? (Ship to me brings an image of an ocean liner ;-)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Dear Brabb,

yes, any ship. In Galapagos, ships are not allowed to carry more than 100 passengers. Of the 67 ships that ply Galapagos waters, about 55 of them carry no more than 20. Only 3 (I think) carry 90-100 passengers.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
30 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

The New York Times has an article today about the positives/challenges of land-based travel in the archipelago: https:/…galapagos-overtourism.html .

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at https://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Thanks Tina.

My husband wrote his own article a few days ago (I find it a lot more focused than the NYT piece if I say so myself!): https:/…

Warmest regards,

Heather

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
151 reviews
88 helpful votes
6. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Heather,

Very interesting article for you and your husband.

Land based tourism is growing and ship based tourism declined a bit.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
47 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Don’t you have a financial link to ship based tourism Heather? Maybe a disclaimer that I’ve seen you use before would be helpful.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
8. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

Yes I do. I run a small agency. You can see that in my TripAdvisor profile and I do mention it from time to time. It might have been appropriate to mention it here, you are right Fleurger.

Still, regardless, ship based tourism is flat because the authorities set limits on the maximum number of spaces available on ships - something I support 100% even if ultimately you can say that it harms the growth of my business.

Setting limits helps ensure that the islands won't be overrun by visitors - and the values for which people to go Galapagos in the first place are not undermined. The government of Ecuador was very wise in doing so - they could have allowed 10 times more ships, bigger ships etc... in the interest of making more money from the resource, but they didn't. Sadly, I don't see the same kind of vision being applied (yet) for land-based tourism. It remains a bit of a wild west - at 20% annual growth, is this a train wreck waiting to happen?

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

9. Re: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:58 am, April 01, 2019

Reply to: 2018 tourism stats just out: 20% increase
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands