We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Hi There,

I know that it is prohibited to bring fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds to the Galapagos so I figured that I would bring snack bars, chips, cookies, etc. on the trip.

But now it seems, if I am understanding correctly, that I am not able to bring even these items from island to island. Is that correct? If so, could I at least enjoy my snacks on the first island (I am flying from Quito to Santa Cruz and spending the first week there)?

Is beef jerky ok to bring? And I assume no fruits and vegetables means canned and dried in addition to fresh?

Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
1 review
1. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Let's see now -- you're planning a trip to Galápagos. The big question; what is your main interest? wildlife in general? tortoises? iguanas? evolution? Darwin? Nope: it's snack bars, chips, cookies. So here's a suggestion: go somewhere else. You'll be much happier. And so will Galápagos.

Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Inconsiderate, judgmental, and self-righteous are words that come to mind. Strict dietary requirements are the reasons for my questions, and I feel obliged to explain only because I interact with many very kind people on this forum whose sole interests are to help other people and thought I'd clear any confusion for their sake. Nothing excites me more than wildlife and nature, I'd imagine at least as much as it excites you and certainly more than you enjoy being caustic and inconsiderate to other people's needs. And like the beautiful animals in Galapagos, I prefer the wonderful human beings in this world that are entirely non-judgmental. Take care though and please refrain from responding to my posts going forward.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,841 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Dear ETT,

I suppose the issue is that you can find all the food you need in Galapagos - you don't really need to bring anything, including snacks. Ships will ply you with more food than you can possibly eat, including generous prepared snacks each time you come back from an excursion (as if you'd just returned from climbing Kilimanjaro), and the towns are full of restaurants and shops selling all kinds of delicious foods / snacks / junk food even.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
1 review
4. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Re #2: "Strict dietary requirements are the reasons for my questions"

First, my apologies -- I had no idea that dietary requirements were the reason you wanted snacks instead of conventional meals. But with that out of the way (I hope!), I'd say you have a very slim chance of getting almost any food past the authorities (and their dogs) on Isla Baltra. But after that, you're "home free" since no one will inspect your luggage on the inter-island ferries between Santa Cruz and San Cristobal or Isabela. Also, be aware that no food of any kind is permitted on the uninhabited islands. As Heather pointed out (see #3), if you're on a cruise there'slots of snacks available when you return to the ship. If you're on a day tour, you'll have to wait until you get back to the island where you're staying.

Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

All suitcases are inspected prior to boarding the inter-island ferries. No fresh fruit or vegetables are allowed onboard. Most sealed processed food is allowed in Galapagos, the jerky... maybe no... you could try and let us know...

Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Just returned from a trip and had many of my “plane snacks” still with me on arrival in Baltra. No issue bringing them in. On inter island ferries (to inhabited islands) I had fresh bread and bananas that I showed inspectors. No issues. I still had most of my snacks by the end of the trip as everything was available on island. I think you’ll find that even for restrictions, there are many options.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
1,237 reviews
970 helpful votes
8. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Despite the one very rude response I'm very glad you asked this question. We are in the early planning stages of a trip for May 2019 and due to dietary issues this is a huge concern for me. I'm relieved to find out that I can bring my own snacks to refuel my body with all the planned activities. If this is not an issue for you great, but others might have medical issues .

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
14 posts
62 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Hi! I just entered Baltra last week with a cabin suitcase loaded with fresh fruits purchased in Guayaquil. Suitcase inspected both at Guayaquil Airport and Baltra dogs. However, fresh meat and drugs not allowed. No issue with your snacks.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,841 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: Bringing snacks to Galapagos

Dear Matt,

they saw all your fresh fruit and had no problems with it??? Please confirm. Thanks.

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: Bringing snacks to Galapagos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted