We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it feasible to travel here with no advanced bookings?

7 posts
Save Topic
Is it feasible to travel here with no advanced bookings?

Timeframe: July/August, ~14 days

After reading some of these posts and blogs I'm thinking about booking a flight to Quito, a flight to the island, and maybe 1 night on Santa Cruz, and then winging it from there.

I would try to book one last minute cruise of ~5-7 days at some point during that two week window, and then fill in the gaps on either side of that with land excursions. I would book hotels the day of to stay flexible to this goal.

Is this feasible? Or do I need more advanced plans?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
4 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it feasible to travel here with no advanced bookings?

Dear Wandering,

the more you wait until the last minute, the greater the risk that things won't work out swimmingly. If you're a happy go lucky kind of person, then that shouldn't be a big problem. If you're giving yourself a 2 week travel window in Galapagos, that helps as well - though trying to fit in a 7 night cruise in a 2 week window, arranging for it only after having arrived in the islands --- it could be cutting it close if things don't align well. If you're traveling alone and happy to share a cabin - that helps. I would try to book a cruise at least 2-3 weeks prior to getting there - any savings from booking a really really last minute cruise will cost you in anxiety and waste of time on site looking around for something. Wouldn't you rather just be enjoying yourself when you are there as opposed to running around from travel agency to travel agency, trying to compare apples and oranges, not knowing if you're being proposed lemons?

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it feasible to travel here with no advanced bookings?

Good points Heather!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it feasible to travel here with no advanced bookings?

With the new regulations on entry requirements- do you not have to pre-book your accommodations?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
639 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it feasible to travel here with no advanced bookings?

The new regulations are due to start in August. If they do start then, yes, you will have to pre-book.

Reply to: Is it feasible to travel here with no advanced bookings?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted