We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Cruise Deals

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Last Minute Cruise Deals

Hey,

Me and my girlfriend are planning to do a 8 day cruise in the galapagos islands at mid - late March (we're on a budget so not looking for a fancy boat).

We understood that there is a possibility to arrive to Kito, talk to the companies in charge of the boats, and get a better deal.

1. Are all the boats active during March?

2. What are the chances to find a good last minute deal that will fit your wanted itinerary in that time of year?

Any other information you might have is more than welcome!

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
58 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Last Minute Cruise Deals

I have the same plan, also mid to late march time frame for an 8 day cruise so I've done a lot of research. I've been planning since last year and i eventually lost my nerve to do it completely last minute and booked on the Floreana NW itinerary.

Once I'd done all the research I became quite specific with where i wanted to go and then when i saw all the boats i wanted were selling out for that time frame i decided to book. I still believe i got a very good price at about 40% discount so i took it.

If you aren't fussy with where you go, you might be able to get one, and it depends what timeframe you have. If you have say, a three week time frame for which to find the cruise in, I think you'll be ok. But less than that and you may have to accept a 5 day cruise.

There are already some good 8 day options such as Golondrina 23-30 March for about 1900, Floreana around 2000.

Definitely check out Galapagoscruiselinks website but please bare in mind that some of those are sold out! I emailed about maybe 5 that were actually sold out and are still up there.

Google Galapagos last minute deals and just start emailing people. I found that Nature Galapagos gave some very good deals already and i also bargained with them a bit further.

Its Easter early April and i assumed that going two weeks earlier i would be safe but it really isn't the case.

Hope that helps and please do PM if you have questions cos i feel like I've been researching forever, and since i just booked i won't be concerned we are competing, haha.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Last Minute Cruise Deals

Thanks for the reply Hannah, very useful information.. We might end up just booking it now considering the limited space.

Is there any chance you might PM your itinerary?

We've done research on where we want to go and i'd love to see as much itineraries as possible.

Thanks in advance, and hope you have a great trip!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Last Minute Cruise Deals

Hi, I’m looking to do a cruise in March 2020, on a budget. I’d like to be able to see as much as the more expensive cruises do but I’m not bothered about luxury. If you have any useful info could you please let me know as I’m finding it a mindfield!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Last Minute Cruise Deals

Dear MLM:

luxury ships and budget ships will visit most of the same visitor sites during a cruise (though some of the lowest end ships have poorer itineraries in general). The more you pay, the nicer your ship will be, the more attention given on ship comforts, and the better chances of a good naturalist guide and professional crew.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Last Minute Cruise Deals

I just got back from the Galapagos and did a last minute 8 day ( really it is 7 days) on the Aida Maria. Great itinerary goes to North Islands then the South islands too. I used Happy Gringo agency and was happy with them. The boat holds 16 ppd and is the budget category, mostly Europeans and Aussies on the boat. When I went to the travel agency they told me what I could expect to see on the various islands. I emailed a week earlier and went to the office on Friday and my cruise started on Sunday. The downside to a last minute cruise is the airfare to Balta airport was VERY expensive over $550. Cost more to fly Quito to Balta tnan Denver to Quito!

It is amazing so do go.

Reply to: Last Minute Cruise Deals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted