We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

I couldn't find a review page for Nemo I Galápagos tours. On their website, they have a certificate of excellence from TripAdvisor under the name Nemo Galápagos Latin Tour Day Tours but that doesn't come up.

Nemo 1 - 3 out of 5 stars - Iternary 4B

Good boat. Nice rooms.

The chef was amazing. Best thing about the boat was the food. He always produced top quality food and Carlos did a good job of keeping the boat looking tidying and the room clean.

It would be nice if the other staff interact with the passengers more. As it felt like it was us and them.

We did a 4 days trip (iternary 4B), however we only had two full days. The first day, we were in the port of Puerto Ayero from 11am to 10pm. If we had known, we could have done a day trip to Isabella island. It felt like a day wasted.

Last day is a short day, as the staff were keen to get us off the boat for the new people. Also the captain started counting of the tips before we had left the boat and before we gave our tip.

Our Galapagos guide, Gabriel appears to have been doing tours for a long time and might have lost his enthusiasm for the job. He relies on passengers asking good questions rather than showing a passion for the wildlife.

Also Gabriel doesn't wait for the group on the tours so if you don't keep up with him you miss information about the wildlife.

On day 2, we went to Cerro Brujo. Pretty beach but a pointless stop as there was a lack of wildlife and everyone couldn't wait to get back on the boat.

On the whole, it was a good experience. We got this cruise on a last minute deal for $550 (USD) however some people paid $850 for a so-called 'last-minute deal' (on the Galapagos Island) so be careful which travel agent you use.

15 replies to this topic
Bolivia
Level Contributor
311 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

Thanks for posting the review. Where did you get your last minute deal?

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

We got the last minute deal from a travel agent in Quito called Ole Expeditions.

But you can book this on the Santa Cruz, Galápagos Island with any travel agent, if you have a few days there. Just remember to get the price around $550. As some people paid $750-850 for a last minute deal. Not a good price.

Edited: 12:52 pm, March 01, 2017
Paris, France
Level Contributor
38 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

My goodness! I'm on the Happy Gringo website and they're proposing me a 5 day trip aboard the Nemo 1 for 2650 USD?! I mean including the return flight over, the entrance fee and everything (base price is 1960 USD). I'm flabbergasted that you managed to get a 4 day one for 500 USD? How much did you end up paying for airfare over? What a crazy difference. I mean I know it's worth it to get last minute but with 10 days in Ecuador, I don't know if I have that leisure to just go on site and try to see what I can get....any advice?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

That was a very good price but it was really just a 2 and a half day cruise, probably not worth more than the $550 you paid for. There is a lot of wool being pulled over the eyes of tourists for some of these cruises.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

Hi Suemen,

We looked at Happy Gringo but thought it was too expensive.

Everyone on our trip paid different prices so it depends on how good your travel agent is.

Here's a breakdown of the prices we paid for you.

Flights from Quito plus return cost 420USD.

Quito airport tax/scan baggage 20USD

Galápagos airport entrance 100USD

Yes we managed to get the trip cheap at a travel agent but every other trip we were offered was really expensive.

Lots of people head to the Galapagos without booking a trip in advance.

We booked our tour whilst we were in Quito. But we known 2 couples who booked on the island the day before. One paid the same price $550 and the other paid $850.

How many days do you have there in total?

It's up to you, are you happy to pay what Happy Gringo want or take a chance?

The reason for me writing this post is the tell people the real price and not paying over the odds.

Also do you know cruises normally keep the two popular island (San Cristobal and Isabella) in separate trips?

I hope this helps.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

Hi ulankford

I totally agree, as my review says above it felt like it was only two full days. Did you the same trip?

When researching the trip, I couldn't find a review for Nemo 1 so I hope this is to help people and knowing how much we paid. The Galápagos is a big tourist trap, everything is expensive because they know people will pay, if they want it.

Kind regards,

Marc

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

No, I didn't do the same crusie. We just did our own thing and did day trips instead. We looked into last minute cruises, nemo II was one boat we looked at but whatever way we diced it up I just couldn't justify the price. In hindsight maybe I was too cut throat and didn't factor in the X factor on what the experience of a live aboard cruise gives. Do I regret not doing a cruise after being there 9 days? No, not really but if I had the money then absolutely go for it but make sure you are getting some semblance of value. When I'm old and rich I'll come back and do a posh cruise, as that are the people it seems who do these cruises :)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

As usual, the more risk you are willing to take, the greater the chances of i) getting a good return, OR ii) regretting your decision to take that risk. We typically don't often hear from people who decided to wait until the very last minute... and didn't find anything that fit within their time frame. I would recommend playing the roulette on "very last minute" trips only if you have a lot of flexibility in your time. If you have only 7 days in Galapagos, don't wait 'til you get there to find a great deal - you may be very disappointed. If you have 1 month in Galapagos, then by all means, head out there and take a week to familiarize yourself with the offer, the agencies, and ships, and be ready to pounce on a good deal if you come by one.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

If you arrive in Quito or indeed the Galapagos itself, namely Santa Cruz, you will find last minute deals leaving from anything from the next day to numerous days in advance. It is quite possible to rock up to Santa Cruz with only 7 days to spare and bag a cheap 4 day/3 night cruse rather easily that will be leaving in the next two or three days, once you are not there in peak peak season. You certainly don't need a full month to sort out a last minute cruise, unless you have very very specific requirements such as islands to visit or certain spots to see.

The only way I would advise someone to pay the full advertised price for a cruise 6 months out is that you have very certain specific requirements in terms of comfort, guides, boat and itinerary. But expect to fork out a small fortune then. The majority of people who do this are wealthy older North Americans I found.

The longer you are in the Galapagos, the more likely is that you will just do it yourself anyway as its easy once you get your head around it.

curlybedhead
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island

hi

I went on Nemo I earlier this month. I paid $1500 through Ecuatravelling. Another passenger booked when she arrived in Quito two days before, and paid $1000, but had to pay almost twice the cost for the airfare out to Galapagos so I guess it's swings and roundabouts. I really loved my time on Nemo I, it was much more decadent than I'd expected, the food was great, the trips were great, the staff were brilliant and bent over backwards to help, everything was so well thought out and organised. Everyone on the boat seemed to gel, and we fully appreciated how lucky we were to be out there. Our guide was Carlos, who was super informative. Would wholeheartedly recommend Nemo I.

Reply to: Nemo I cruise review - Galápagos Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted