We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

atlanta, georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

I am looking for a van/driver to take three adults from Guayaquil to Cuenca. Possibly someone who will let us stop for lunch on the way or see any sights. Does anyone have any recommendations for this, or is this something I can have my hotel arrange for us after we arrive in Guayaquil? Thanks!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

I just replied to a post about something similar actually. I have been to Ecuador twice now and we just came back from our third trip of 6 weeks. We had a very awful experience with a van service from Cuenca to Guayaquil - the drive takes you through Cajas National Park (windy roads, up hill, down hill, people over taking in the opposite lanes, which is quite standard, speeding, driver falling asleep). I would be weary about booking anything off of the internet. I would advise asking the hotel now per email to see what they say, and then do some research on the company, if you want to play it safe. Some companies have really old vans which are not in good condition. Depending on how "adventurous" you guys are, this might not - or may - be a problem ;)

In cuenca there are several van services to choose from. I am not sure anyone will do a private tour for the 3 of you - but a typical van will seat 8 people including the driver

atlanta, georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

Thank you so much for your reply. I am a little worried now. How did you find your Van service? Was it a company in Cuenca or Guayaquil? Do you think we should wait until we arrive in Guayaquil before booking?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

Don't be all too concerned, just go with your gut instinct and have faith ;)

In Cuenca, we asked our hotel for a recommendation on a van service. They gave us one and I looked it up online to find some good reviews. the name escapes me now - SORRY - the next day we took a cab to the van service but in true ecuadorian style, the cab driver dropped us off at completely the WRONG service. We only realized this at the point of "check in" (cab gone by then) when we went to pay for the tickets and the lady said there was no reservation in our name. Our hotel did reserve and then we realized we were with the company.

After 5 weeks of backpacking, heavy luggage, we did not feel like roaming around up and down the street to look for the right service - needless to say the van that was reserved was scheduled to leave in 5 minutes so we would never have had time at all

We asked about the price of the service we landed at and it seemed ok and it happened to be leaving in 10 minutes so we just said "ok"

very bad idea ...

atlanta, georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

Ok... good advice. One more thing, can you remember how much you paid? Just as a point of reference.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

I think it was about 20 bucks for the two of us - not much at all. The local buses are about 8 bucks in comparison (for 2 people).

Guayaquil, Ecuador
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

Have you found your van to Cuenca? There are many excellent recommendations for Jorge Lopez, who lives right across from the Guayaquil airport and is always on time. He is Ecuadorian and has lived in the states for 7 years, so his English is perfect and he understands the way No Americans like things done. He is a very cautious driver and will stop whenever you would like. His website is EcuaVanTransportation.com and he will get back with you right away.

7. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, October 05, 2013
8. Re: Van/driver recommendations for Guayaquil to Cuenca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 07, 2014