We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

Which Cuenca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Media, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

Hello,

My husband and I have Ecuador on our top retirement countries, though we have never been. we are planning a trip and would love to see a lot in 10 days, but don't want to travel more than 2 of them. That being said, we would like to experience a town, countryside, beach or beaches. I read that there were a lot of expats in Cuenca, so maybe we could start or finish there. Does anyone have an idea what you would do if you were just wanting to experience a smidgeon of Ecuador in a short time?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

If you go to the main Ecuador forum page, there are questions on the right side of the screen. The last one has links to relevant posts. Also, use the Search feature. Maybe type in 'retire' without the apostrophes, and then resort the results by date. There are some recent posts thst in some areas of Ecuador expats are leaving due to increased crime rates. Also, there seem to be websites that cater to people in your frame of mind. Unfortunately, few are active on TripAdvisor.

Media, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

tHANKS, YES, THAT'S iNTERNATIONAL lIVING AND i FIND THEM VERY commercial or after money or something. But yes, will take your advice. Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

Yes, that is the 'service' I was thinking about. Yes, it seems commercial, and the down side is that people come, live better than at home and the average Ecuadorian, then the temptation is there and crime happens. The balance is how can one live quietly and safely?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

I'm a little confused by the statement "don't want to travel more than 2 of them." It sounds as though you just want to park yourselves in one place for the duration?

Cuenca and Cotocachi are the main expat destinations. Cuenca is much larger. I've recommended a number of times in the past that before making a commitment to a place, rent and live there for at least six months--a year would be better--and see if the lifestyle and the attendant hassles are doable for you.

Media, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

Thank you. No. I meant I don't want to be traveling more than 48 hours or two full days. :). Yes I read that as well. To rent for awhile before deciding. But we want to visit for ten days and experience some town and beach but don't want more than two days out of ten traveling.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

Well, then, try a very short flight to Cuenca, an even shorter flight to Guayaquil a few days later, then maybe a bus or private driver to Salinas, where there is another expat community. Use Guayaquil as your airport base.

Media, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

Thanks azbuceadora- that's what I was looking for. I appreciate it...

8. Re: 1st Visit, perhaps to retire here, Grateful for advice....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 03, 2014