We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living and working in Cuenca

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
living and working in Cuenca

I've recently come across the possibility of a job in Cuenca.

It pays US$350 per month

Is this enough to survive on in the city? Is doesnt seem like very much, so Im quite doubtful.

Also, is that a reasonable salary for teachers in the city? Its only like $3 per hour!

Thanks

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: living and working in Cuenca

It would be very difficult to live on that amount! Although rent is much cheaper than for example in the states. On a budget so low it would be very difficult. If you need a furnished place it would even be even worse. Food is cheaper here but not that much and prices recently have taken a jump up.

As far as the pay, most of the top institutions pay about that amount for a part-time job. So how many hours are involved would be an important question. Also are they going to pay for your work visa. That can be costly and a huge headache. Hope that helps!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: living and working in Cuenca

Rulkell is right. Though Cuenca is no doubt cheaper than Quito, I think the stress of trying to live on that would ruin the experience for you. My colleagues and I are living quite comfortably on around $1400/ month on up (I get more with experience and M.A.). We also get a housing allowance and free transportation to and from school. Colleagues at another top school here make quite a bit more.

If this is a language school and not a K-12 type school, $3 is probably average. Those teachers don't make much at all. Three dollars is more than double the minimum wage (I think).

3. Re: living and working in Cuenca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 22, 2009