We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Quito

Cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Quito

My wife and I will be spending 3 days in Quito and would like information on possible day trips. We will be taking a trip to the Otavalo Market. We are considerin the train ride on the Chivas Express. Has anyone any information on this ride - how long does it take - are there any attractions after the trip - how do we return to Quito. Can we book this day trip from Quito, is a guide needed forthis trip?

Also has anyone stayed at the Grand Hotel Mercure in Quito? Are there any suggestions on other Hotels in Quito?

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Quito

You may want to consider spending the night in Otovalo. The drive is a couple of hours and the area is beatifull.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,436 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Quito

We were in Quito in November and stayed at the J.W. Marriott - it's a beautiful hotel and the location is convenient (a few blocks from the Mercure.)

We did a day trip to Otavalo (with a driver/guide from the Marriott) - had considered doing it by bus with Grayline, but am glad that we paid extra for a private driver. It was only $40. more in total for the two of us vs. going with Grayline, and in addition to Otavalo, we were able to stop at some very interesting places during the day (including Cotacachi). We did a second day with the same driver and went to Mindo and Bella Vista Cloud Forest.

The Mercure is on Ave. Amizonas - a street that is very busy & noisy with traffic. Perhaps you can request a room on the non-street side? On our airplane trip home, I sat beside a woman who had stayed at the Mercure and she was said it was very nice.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Quito

Thank you for the information.

We're not familiar with Grayline. Is this regular scheduled bus or a tour activity?

For the ChivasExpress could we also hire a private guide from the Hotel?

Any advise will be helpful.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
150 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Quito

It's been a few years since I've been to Quito, but back then I took a day trip to Mitad del Mundo. Yes, it's a tourist place but at the same time it's an unforgettable experience to stand with one foot on the nothern and the southern hemisphere. There are buses going from the airport area on a daily basis. The views are gorgeous even though it's quite a bumpy ride.

Quito itself has a lot to offer, espcially the historic part of the city. However, avoid taking a bag/purse with you and don't take too many valuables since this is a hot spot for pickpockets.

Have a great time in Ecuador!!!!!!!!!!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,436 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Quito

Dblepawz: Here is the web site for Gray Line: http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/latinamerica/ecuador.go?mode=activities&cat=Gray+Line+Tour (or you can do a google search for Gray Line Ecuador).

Your hotel can probably arrange for a taxi or a guide to take you on day trips .... but I'm not sure about the chances of finding an English speaking driver. Our ability to communicate in Spanish is very poor (not to mention embarrassing) so having an English speaking guide was important to us. The one we had from the Marriott's Business Centre (Julio Rosero) speaks English very well. To give you an idea of pricing ..... their tours are $120 to $130. per day regardless of whether it's one or 4 people. We were normally gone from 9 a.m. till after 6 p.m.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Quito

Grand Mercure Hotel is very nice, I have stayed there many times. I believe that it's the best deal in town, 4 star hotel for 3 star prices.

BC
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Quito

We are considering the day tour to Otavalo and are looking at booking with Turisvision on their website. My only concern with a private tour is the state of the vehicle we would end up with. Does anyone know if there is legislation regarding the roadworthyness of these 'private tour' vehicles?

Mary

New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Quito

We stayed at the Mercure duing the fall of 07. It's a clean and very nice hotel with friendly helpful staff located in a safe area. Our room cosisted of 2 rooms with a nice view of the city and mountains. Also breakfast was included and they have a secure luggage room if your further travel has weight restrictions.

Enjoy.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,436 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Quito

aimarg: Turisvision gets "two thumbs up" from Frommer's Destinations: frommers.com/destinations/…2830010002.html

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Quito

Hi my friends and I will be in Quito at the end of September for 2 days before our diving trip.

We are thinking about a day trip to Otavalo market on the Sunday - is the market on daily or just set days.

Will we be OK to wait until we get to our hotel on the Saturday - Hotel Rio Amazonas before we book and will the hotel be able to assist us with this.

Thanks, if anyone else has any suggestions for a day out please just let me know.