We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

How can a single female safely travel from Quito airport to the hotel in town centre. Are taxi safe to travel?

DM

Williston, Vermont
Level Contributor
119 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

Hi. I don't think it's a problem. I've never heard of trouble with taxi drivers from the airport. If you are arriving on an international flight, after they check your luggage tag (have your luggage tag ready as you leave the baggage area), you go out the main doors and there is a taxi stand right there. Go with a yellow cab only. Don't let anyone take your luggage to hand to the taxi driver or you will need to tip them! As you get in, make sure that they have a meter and that it is on (unless you know how much it should cost). If they don't have a meter, you can also negotiate and ask how much it will cost to your hotel. I think it shouldn't be more than $5 to most hotels, as the airport is in the city. (But metered is better for the first time.)

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

Actually the taxi cooperative based at the airport is notorious because (1) they refuse to use the meters - I've never heard of a case where they've actually used it, but many, many cases of them refusing to; and (2) there were several instances last year of them calling ahead to partners in crime, whom they would meet and allow them to rob the luggage/$$ from the riders. I received this info about the robberies from the security officer of my husband's company, a very reliable source.

My personal preference is to use the taxi service run by the airport (not yellow cabs) - when you exit the luggage claim area, you walk a little ways to the exit of the terminal. On the way, on the right-hand side, are two windows - the second is the one that has this car service, I have used it and it was very good/reliable.

If you do use a cab, negotiate the price before getting into the cab (or try to establish before getting in that they will use the meter, but that'd be tough). While no hotel should cost more than $5, I would bet they would charge at least $10. The airport cooperative normally charges $5 just to get to my house in a nearby neighborhood, and would certainly charge more to a more obvious tourist going farther away. The other service I'm recommending isn't any cheaper, just safer.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

Thanks, Bromelia for the information. Who are the people who check the luggage tag?

To American in Quito - What colour is the taxi run by the airport, can you distinguish them from the ordinary taxi, I have a bit of apprehension travelling alone in a taxi.

dkym

Maine
Level Contributor
91 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

You should also check to see if your hotel provides a shuttle service from the airport. Even if the hotel does not have its own shuttle service, they might have a tour company or specific taxi operators that they work with and trust. Since the hotel wants your business, they want you to arrive safe and happy. My experience in Ecuador has been that many lodging establishments really do place a priority on customer service and will do whatever they can to ensure their customers are treated well.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

All legal taxis in Quito are yellow cabs, those belonging to the airport are marked as being the Cooperativo del Aeropuerto or some such thing. The other taxi service I mentioned is really a car service, with a van that is marked as bring airport transportation. And I want to also second the advice of another - your hotel may easily provide transportation (probably for a $10 charge, which is fair), if you only ask. Although yellow cabs are so much cheaper than $10 under normal circumstances, you just won't get that from the taxis at the airport.

Williston, Vermont
Level Contributor
119 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

I have to say I have never had a problem with the yellow cabs from the airport (even traveling alone) and I have never heard of a problem . However, peace of mind is important, and if you are nervous, the advice above makes sense and is not expensive.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

Thanks for all of your advice.

So I will take the airport taxi marked Cooperativo del Aeropuerto. I supposed not speaking Spanish is not a problem.

dkym

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

I used this same airport taxi service a month ago w/ no problems. I was traveling alone as well & went to that window, told the lady the name of my hotel & she gives you a receipt w/ the fare of your ride & name of your hotel written on it. You give one copy to the first yellow taxi driver parked out on the curb (they are all lined up). Mine cost $5 to the Mariscal neighborhood of the city. I spoke Spanish which helped but I think some drivers can speak some English words. I found people in Quito to be quite friendly but then again, I was able to communicate w/ them.

9. Re: Single female travelling from Quito Airport to Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, August 21, 2009