We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
10 posts
Save Topic
food

I have a question about the food in Ecuador. Is Montezuma's revenge common there like in Mexico. Do I need to watch every single thing I eat?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
371 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food

My colleagues and I take high school kids through Mexico each June/July. I'm impressed with how they're not getting sick as maybe only two or three did on our first trip a few years ago.

I feel the same way about Ecuador. This past time I visited Ecuador (Aug '05), I was surprised that besides the normal mild diarrhea (that I get whether abroad or even in different parts of the US), I was fine and suffered no major problems.

We tell our high schoolers that if you think too much about whether or not something will make you sick, you can make it worse by worrying. Whether that's reverse psychology or not, it works for us all.

I eat most fruits, veggies, and other foods in Ecuador and throughout Central & South America. These past 3 or 4 years, I haven't experienced problems.

I'd strongly advise against ingesting a lot of tap water. (Water on clean dishes served to you in restaurants is usually OK.) Besides the fact that the tap water tastes awful, if you do it once, you won't do it again. Buy bottled water.

What else...I try to avoid salads and I wash any fruits I buy with bottled water.

I very very rarely eat in the streets. That I'd advise against as well if you're concerned about getting sick.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food

Just a couple more thoughts....Everyone is different so some may be sensitive to new bacteria ect... Better safe than sorry. Absolutely no tap water especially on the coast. Which means no ice in your drinks. Dry your glass or silverware if it comes wet. Stick to foods that have been cooked and fruit that can be peeled. Other than that enjoy becouse there are alot of really delicious Ecuadorian foods!

3. Re: food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 22, 2009