We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to american in quito

toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
to american in quito

to any one, trying to think if i should go back to this wonderful country. a little background is i dont speak spanish, my family is from quito, i do have family thier. But my question is now that i have a wife who also does not speak spanish, and we want to go, will it be hard to get around the city, or speaking english is more common. last time i was thier was in 99, and i noticed alot more people were speaking english. also any suggestions for places to visit, we are traveling for 3 weeks. have a place to stay. and maybe a car.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to american in quito

sorry, I don't quite get the question - you want to know if you should visit although you & your wife doesn't speak Spanish? Of course! By all means! There are tons of tourists in Ecuador (tourism is continually on the rise here, so there would be significantly more tourists than in 99 I would think), many, many of whom don't speak Spanish! Don't worry about it, and come visit!

toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: to american in quito

thank you, it was more if will we be safe to go around the city not speaking spanish, i know it will be hard to talk to my family down their as they only speak spanish.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to american in quito

My parents went around by themselves and had no problem. Of course it's easier if you speak Spanish, but it's not a big deal either, don't worry about it.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to american in quito

You definantly should make the visit. Just as American in Quito said tourists from all over the world visit Ecuador without speaking spanish. I am shure your family will love to see you as you probably know from your visit in 99. In three weeks you could do alot of things. You really should travel around a bit. Maybe even take a spanish class while you are there!

5. Re: to american in quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 20, 2009