We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

Level Contributor
4 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

Hi, I am looking to travel to Ecuador. do i need proof of an onward ticket prior to entering the country? i intend to travel south america for 1-2 years, so only have a one way ticket at this stage. but am unsure whether i can enter Ecuador without a ticket showing i'll be leaving within 3 months? my plans arent set, so id prefer not to pay $$$ for airticket.

The bus companies don't appear to let you book a ticket online (as they are cheaper so could forfit it).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

If you go to the main Ecuador forum page (you are currently in Quito forum), in the Search box above the forum topic list, type in 'onward ticket' (without the quotation marks) and you will see other threads for this question. They might give you some insight.

Edited: 9:58 am, May 01, 2014
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

usually they don´t ask. even if they do ask, just tell them you will buy a ticket later. i have never been asked but my girlfriend was asked coming back (flying) from colombia by the airline agent when she was checking in (from colombia to return to ecuador) but they let her through anyways. I have never been asked and I´ve been in/out 4 times in the past 2 years.

Bogota, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

REALLY? I just asked at the ticket counter (LAN) about my flight o Guayaquil tomorrow, and they said they will absolutely not allow me to board the plane without a confirmed reservation for onward travel.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

El Cap's experiences (and mine, when I lived in Quito) are somewhat different as we had resident visas. A lot of people do enter without an onward ticket as they plan to do as the OP does. I think it's a matter of how much a stickler the immigration agent is, or if it's a random thing. The airline should not be taking on immigration issues. In all my travels to many countries, I don't remember ever being asked to show a return ticket except when applying for a couple of visas (South Africa and Nepal come to mind).

You could buy a bus ticket here if that would help your situation http://www.ecuadorschedules.com/ And then, when you get to immigration, don't show them the bus ticket unless they ask (just as an experiment).

Level Contributor
4 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

Hey - i just flew into Quito - got asked for my onward ticket when leaving USA and also when customs here. you can get a full flexi and change or refund ?

Level Contributor
4 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

Hi - yes, turned out i needed an onward ticket. got asked by the airline when leaving the USA to come to Ecuador and immigration upon arrival. if you get a full flex ticket onwards you can change the dates or refund.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

Thanks for the update. Sounds like they've become much more picky.

8. Re: Do i need an onward ticket to enter Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 07, 2015