We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami to Guayaquil with connecting flight in Quito

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san antonio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Miami to Guayaquil with connecting flight in Quito

We have a LAN flight from Miami to Guayaquil with a layover/connecting flight in Quito. We have now decided to spend a few days in Quito and then we will probably fly to Guayaquil or Manta and are going to spend a couple of weeks exploring the coast. Our return flight is out of Guayaquil direct back to Miami. I called LAN and they said I would be able to get my checked luggage in Quito (ie it would not be checked thru to Guayaquil) They said in any case I would have to go thru customs in Quito and would have to recheck my luggage... ie definitely would be no problem not continuing on to Guayaquil. I want to start making reservations and will not be able to cancel and change places we plan to stay starting with Quito and continuing on to the coast probably fly to Manta and work our way down coast to Guayaquil and catch our return flight. Does anyone know if it is true that we will definitely get our luggage in Quito with no problem.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami to Guayaquil with connecting flight in Quito

It's true that at your first point of arrival, you must collect your bags and go through customs and immigration. This is assuming you are actually changing planes and having to deplane in Quito.

However, it's unclear exactly what arrangements you've made with LAN for flying out of Guayaquil. If you simply don't show up for the second leg of this flight (Quito-Guayaquil), your return flight from Guayaquil to Miami will probably be canceled. It has happened to a number of travelers who decided to skip a flight, only to discover their remaining flights were canceled by the airline.

You should make dead sure LAN understands what you're planning to do. It may even involve rebooking your flight to indicate you are flying to Quito (not continuing on to Guayaquil) and then out of Guayaquil. There is an Air Travel forum that you might post your question to.

2. Re: Miami to Guayaquil with connecting flight in Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 02, 2014