We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Weather in Quito

Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Current Weather in Quito

Hi,

We will be visiting Quito around the 4th of May for a few days and just wondering what the weather has been like over the last few days and what should we expect?

Haven't been able to find a local weather forecast site for reliable information!

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,898 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Weather in Quito

The rule of thumb is to be prepared for four seasons in one day! Dress in layers.

Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Weather in Quito

Ha ha!!

So, is the weather just very changeable in general? Would there be much of a chance of getting some sunshine?

Thanks!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,898 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Weather in Quito

Yes, you will probably get sun in the morning. The weather sites always say it's raining, but they're just covering their butts. It probably will rain, somewhere in Quito, at some point during the day. Rain tends to be very localized and of short duration (20-30 minutes, time to duck into a cafe for coffee). It's unusual for the entire city to be socked in with pouring rain for hours.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Weather in Quito

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Any idea of what the general temperature would be when the sun is out?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,898 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Weather in Quito

Mid to upper 60s (F)

Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Weather in Quito

Thanks again.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Weather in Quito

We're currently enjoying the regular April winter rains, which mostly means sunny mornings and rainy afternoons and evenings. The season started late this year, so may last a bit longer than usual. Be prepared for lovely days turning into rain and thunder. If you're really lucky, it'll be over by the time you arrive and you'll have the beginning of our wonderful summer - sun, sun, sun!

Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current Weather in Quito

Great, thanks for that!

Keep me posted as next week goes on if you can! We'll be arriving on Saturday week.

Will hotels have their swimming pools open at this time of year if the weather is dry?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current Weather in Quito

Can you please give me an idea of what weather to expect in July, Aug and early September. The information I found indicated the average temperature is the same year around - max 20 & min 19 degrees celcius. However, from the above posts I gather that the weather can be erratic - meaning several seasons in one day, is this so. What would you normally expect in winter? Is it correct that winter is the dry season for Quito? Is there a weather site that you would recommend? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current Weather in Quito

The temp is 70ish when the sun is out during the day (but it feels hotter due to intense sun) and it cools down to mid 50's at night. We just had 3 days of rain (not all day though) and 3 days of brilliant sunshine. It just really depends. It never really gets super cold, below 50. During the day I usually wear jeans and a short sleeve shirt (but sometimes shorts) and at night I wear a light jacket.