We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

pune
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

hi folks,

right now i am in quito only for 2 days. i desperately need to know where can i buy seeds for flowering plants ( i can see everywhere in quito beautiful flowers, it looks really amazing) in quito. are there any good nurseries where i can just purchase a few packets of seeds? an immediate reply will be highly appreciated.

thanx

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

Are you really able to take seeds back to Pune? Often plant material is confiscated at your customs.

pune
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

definitely you can carry a few grams of flowering seed varieties like zinnia, lilies, daisies, gerberas etc. it will not be confiscated by customs.

any idea where can i locate a good nursery in quito, ecuador? i found one lead "Parque Ichimbía" located at the limit of the Old Town, but i aint sure.

i've come across tourist shop selling baby orchids but i dont want to buy them 'cos they will not survive in my tropical dry climate.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

Go to Ferrisariato, part of the Ace Hardware family; they have a gardening section. There is one in the basement of Quicentro Mall. The other option is the village of Nayon, famous for its nurseries, about 20 minutes from Quito.

pune
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

dear azbuceadora,

thanks a lot for the info. infact i was expecting a reply from you!

thanks amigo once again.

Redmond
Level Contributor
111 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

Mega Kywi of Eloy Alfaro (near the US Embassy) also carries seeds.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

Good point! I had forgotten about MegaKywi.

Esbjerg, Danmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

Hello

I come to Quito the 30 of marts and i would like to buy some orkids especially Botanical types. Did you have any luck , with your seeds?

Where did you get some?

Sincerely Flemming

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

Hi, Flemming,

The OP was looking for rather ordinary flower seeds (ordinary for this part of the world, maybe exotic for India). Orchid seeds are going to be hard to find if they're available for sale at all--are you aware it can take years for orchids to germinate (assuming they are placed in the proper growing medium), and then a few more years for them to bloom?

There are some orchid farms outside of Cuenca that develop new hybrids for the greenhouse trade, and some will have a gift shop to sell the plants, but I'm not sure if they sell seeds (and you should check customs regulations for importing seeds back to your country).

9. Re: where can i buy flowering plant seeds in quito?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 27, 2015