We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Quito to Lima

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Travel Quito to Lima

Hi there,

I'm looking to travel by bus from Quito to Lima at the end of February.

We were also hoping to stop in Mancora or another nice beach resort on the way down! Does anybody have any suggestions of how I can go about this? Any beaches on route?

thanks

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

There are 2 bus companies here in Quito which will take you to Lima - both have good reputations:

Rutas de America, located at 20 de Agosto & Selva Alegre. The last info I have is that the price is $65.00 and they leave on south-bound trips only on Saturday.

Panamericana International, located on Av. Colon a block or 2 off of 6 de Diciembre, $38.00. Don't have info on their schedule.

Total travel time to Lima is about 38 hours.

Mancora is reputed to be a fabulous beach - haven't made it there yet, but it's on my list!

I'd suggest you go in person to the bus terminals once you're in Quito and check on up-to-date information about prices, departures, etc.

One word of warning - bus travel isn't always the safest way to travel anywhere in S. America - unfortunately, accidents do happen. Also, keep your belongings on, under or around you while sleeping - there are thieves everywhere in the world. Our bus experiences have all been positive, thank goodness, but that's not always the case. Thousands of travelers go safely, and both the bus companies have good reputations for safety.

Good luck to you, and enjoy both Ecuador & Peru - they're both fabulous countries.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

I have not done this trip myself but I can confirm the location of Panamericana International is as stated above, pretty much behind the KFC on the corner of Colon and 6 de deciembre. I took their direct bus to Guayaquil in June and it was very nice. I go down into that area (Panamericana bus station) quite often so I'll pop in soon and get a schedule and post it here. Its only Panamericana there and not other bus companies. Your other bet is head down to the main Quitumbe bus station where 100's of bus companies operate. This summer I spent a few days in Huanchaco, Peru which is about 8 hours north of Lima (I took a bus from Lima to there). I wouldn't call it a "nice" beach town but its great for surfing.

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

Great, thank you both for the quick responses!

I will look into both companies.. I'm thinking about not bothering with Moncaro, and going to a coastal town from Quito now. if you have any suggestions do let me know!

Cheers

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

The nearest coastal towns are 6 hours away, straight west from Quito and not on your way to Lima at all. If you are heading to lima, you will actually go by Mancora anyways. Heading south from Quito, its about an 8 hour bus ride to Guayaquil and from there its 3 hours (west) to Montanita or 2 hours to Playas (general villamil). Playas is all locals while Montanita has a good number of travelers.

Redmond
Level Contributor
111 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

With the new roads, I've found that I can be in Pedernales just 4 hours from Quito. Canoa is 1 more hour from there. Depending on the time of the year, water temperature is better and less crowded than Esmeraldas which is the default for quiteños. But it's not the best beach experience and it's far away from your route to Perú.

However, some people do start their trip to Perú from Guayaquil, providing an opportunity for Santa Elena, Southern Manabí and El Oro beaches. I don't like Montañita, and prefer Olón as a personal choice. But fortunately you have a wide array to choose from. Enjoy!

6. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, July 14, 2013
Tagerwilen...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

Hello, I have the same request. To take a bus from Quito south to Peru.

The fist step should go to Tumbes, later to Mancora and then Trujilla and Lima.

Is it possible to buy a ticket for the bus online right now? (Quito-Tumbes)

Looking forward for your help. Thanks.

8. Re: Travel Quito to Lima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 11, 2014