We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

I arrive @ 1pm on Monday (in about a week & a half) & leave early in the morning on Wed, so I don't even have 2 full days. One of those days I definitely want to stay in Quito & explore the sites in town. On the other day would it make sense to do a day trip to Otavalo or the Cloud Forest Reserve or Alegria Farm? Or would it be better to just stay in the city both days since my time is so limited? If you suggest doing a day trip, which one?

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,830 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

There are some recent discussions on what to do with limited time in Quito; scroll down a bit to find those threads. The hop on/hop off bus would make a good intro to the city; you can pace yourself and go back to your hotel if the altitude or jet lag get to you. If you enjoy museums and art, there are some wonderful museums to visit as well (Banco Central, Guayasamín, Camilo Egas, among others). If you wanted to go to Mindo you would have to dedicate your one full day to it. There is a really nice botanical garden in Parque Carolina if you want to get out of the hustle and bustle.

See the Top Question up on the right for more suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Mindo
Mindo
North Haven...
Level Contributor
3 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

We did the trip to center of the earth on the equator .The place is called the Inti-nan Museum. Great learning experience about the equator and the Andean people. Taxi ride was cheap 20 dollars. It's about 30 minute ride. The ride to Otovalo was not worth the trip.The market did not have the best deals. Very repetitive.The only think we did get there was t shirts but you have to look for them.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

Must see the old town.. And do not miss La Compania church .. With all the gold leaf very impressive

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

Seems to me that you dont even have 1.5 days. Before you reach to your hotel etc it may be over 3.

You can perhaps visit the teleferico to have a nice view of the city and you can walk around there. and the other day see the old town. There is plenty to see and do.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

I would read some of the posts from the past few days. Several ask similar question, and another discusses the pros and cons of adding the altitude of the telforico to the altitude of the city, even if coming from a city of 2000ft elevation. Acclimitization is advised.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

Yeah, it is only 1.5 days more like. Thanks for the advice! Teleferico does sound cool :) and definitely old town. I'm coming from Cusco so hopefully I'll have acclimated enough there & it'll transfer over ok :) *fingers crossed* I've been at about the same elevation here in Ollantaytambo & the worst I've experienced here was headaches & overall sleepiness/ lack of energy

Mentioned in this post
Teleferico Quito
Teleferico Quito
3,606 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Washington, DC
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

I just returned from Ecuador. I recommend a tour of the old town of Quito and a trip to Mital del Mundo, visiting the museum Museo Solar Inti Nan, where they do some fascinating experiments showing what it means to be at the equator, and they have one of the best gift shops I encountered. Although Otovalo is terrific, it is too far from Quito (and the roads too poor) to visit if you have only two days.

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Quito
Quito
8. Re: Advice on what to do - only have 2 days in Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 14, 2014