We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas in Ecuador

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visas in Ecuador

I am currently in Ecuador on a T3 visa. I am thinking about enrolling in a Spanish language school for 6 weeks, so I would be finished my course before my T3 expires. Do I need to get a student visa or will my tourist visa be sufficient. Sorry if this seems a silly question, but I don't want to break any laws - I love this country and want to return.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visas in Ecuador

What happens if you are already in Ecuador and you want to stay longer than the 90 days....can you extend or get a visa while there?

Quito, Ecuador
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Visas in Ecuador

Yes you can get your extension here but it's important that you take care of it BEFORE your 90 days are over. You get your visa at the Cancilleria / Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores in Quito, 10 de Agosto/ Carrión and they will ask for

- fotos, passport size

- a ticket out of Ecuador

- a form you have to have filled out

- 200 dollars for the visa

- proof that you have 1000$ in a bank account

and maybe something else I forgot.

That's how it worked for me.

Be sure to get to the Cancilleria early in the morning, (7am), you get a number and they will be out of numbers at around 8:30. Even so you might spend half a day waiting.

Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visas in Ecuador

They could care less what your return date says, because you could be spending 2 months in Ecuador then heading to northern peru for 7 weeks, then back into Ecuador for your return flight home. You can get a visa extension, but it is expensive and requires effort to obtain. You can overstay your original 90 day tourist visa with little problems, they just will not let you back into the country for a year. They have abolished the fees for overstays.

Paso Robles...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Visas in Ecuador

I have a T-3 Visa that expires June 12. I used 10 days so far last June. I plan on going back to Ecuador for April and May. Do I understand correctly that I cannot return to Ecuador for at least 12 months from then using another T-3 Visa?

Redmond
Level Contributor
111 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visas in Ecuador

If you care about coming back to Ecuador somewhere in the future, please don't overstay your T3 visa. They always hold overstays against you. That kind of behaviour gets evaluated by the Government and fires back at tourists and other legal immigrants, which slowly turns back the original policy of a "visa free country" (now holding it against Chinese and Cuban nationals because of some people abusing the system)

Redmond
Level Contributor
111 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visas in Ecuador

I'd say drop them an email with your visa details so they can guide you: ecuador@consuladodelecuadorsf.com

Another poster said they were very responsive (good news!)

17. Re: Visas in Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 26, 2014