We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Guide

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Private Guide

We have just returned from Quito which we visited prior to a Galapagos cruise.

Having read previous recommendations we decided to hire Lincoln Guaman (lincolnjabra@yahoo.com) for 3 days. He suggested the itineraries. We had an excellent time with him trekking in the cloud forest, visits to the top of volcanoes, and to local markets.

He is exceptionally pleasant to deal with, speaks excellent english and is very knowledgeable.

The drivers in Ecuador seem quite mad but we always felt confident with him because of his safe driving. It was a lot cheaper to hire him than to go on organised tours and we had personal service.

1. Re: Private Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:15 am, February 27, 2012
2. Re: Private Guide

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 am, July 19, 2012
3. Re: Private Guide

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, March 25, 2014
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
429 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Guide

Just got back from our trip to Ecuador. Here's another thumbs up for Lincoln.

We toured with him (privately) on two of the days we had on our own in Quito before joining our group to the Galapagos. We had a great time with him. Found him to be personable and very flexible with the itineraries we picked from a list he provided. On one day, we went north to Quitsato, Otavalo, Cotacachi, Peguche, and a few other places. On the second day, we went to Cotopaxi, hoping to climb from 4500 to 4800 m, and maybe even to the glacier at 5000 m. As it turned out, it was much too windy to enjoy the climb, so we enjoyed the mountain for a while and then walked around the pond in the valley. We also toured a rose farm, and had a late lunch at a nearby Hacienda.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Guide

How much were his rates?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Guide

Last month, my wife, 3 teenage kids (17, 15, 12) and I visited Ecuador for a few days before heading to Machu Picchu and the Amazon. Because our time was going to be limited, we wanted to use our time as efficiently as possible. I used Trip Advisor and found the names of 6 different tour guides. I emailed all of them and 3 responded to me. Lincoln Guaman best met our needs and here's why:

1) Reasonable rates -- he charged us $135/day and he has a 4x4 jeep that could accommodate our family of five. He doesn't watch the clock and on one of the two days he was with us for 12 hours!! (we gave him a nice tip!). I really wanted a guide who didn't work for a big tour agency because you know that when you pay him the money it isn't going to support a big overhead, yet he has gotten licensed per local regulations.

2) Reliable -- he showed up at our hotel, ready to go at just the time we agreed.

3) Knowledgeable -- he knows all of the great sites and can tell you the history, the cultural significance, geography (mountain/volcano names/legends), etc. He is a wealth of knowledge and speaks absolutely perfect English. He worked as a tour guide for a biking company for 8 years and has also done mountain climbing.

4) FLEXIBLE -- our experience has been that many guides have a pretty staid routine and they get bent out of shape if you ask them to deviate from it. In our case, we made a last minute decision after visiting Mitad del Mundo, at which point we decided we preferred to go ziplining in Mindo, rather than returning to Quito for an afternoon city tour. Lincoln wasn't dislodged in the least--he simply made a u-turn, stopped at a market so we could pick up a few snacks and drove us through beautiful landscape until we reached the ziplining place. Without us asking, he took the initiative to take pictures, etc. The next day he took us to Otavalo for the market, to a terrific 300-year old hacienda for a fabulous lunch, to Cotacachi Lake for a boatride, and then Peguche for the waterfall. He stopped along the way for the famous hot chocolate and biscuits and also to see the ceramic dolls made out of bread dough.

5) Great guy -- he's a genuinely nice, trustworthy guy with an engaging personality. It was a lot of fun to get to know him over the course of two days, and it was great to hear about his wife, son and daughter because you get a terrific glimpse into an Ecuadorian family's life (facing issues not too dissimilar from those of every family!). He also gave great updates on the economy, government, new Quito airport construction and everything else under the sun.

In case you can't tell, we highly recommend Lincoln Guaman! Be aware that his Yahoo email address got hacked, so that's no longer valid and you need to contact him at lincolnjabra@hotmail.com

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Guide

If you may need transportation in Ecuador I can recommend also to contact to Francisco he has a Van for 8 people. Is not a guide but he can transport you whenever you may want with a good price per day depending on the days you may want to travel and the distance too. He speaks good english and very good driver. the contact of him is: paco.l.07@hotmail.es

i recommend him because he help me with that service two weeks a go traveling around Quito, Baños, Puyo, Tena, Riobamba, Cuenca, Guayaquil and Puerto Lopez. Really nice guy and good personality!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Guide

I'm a bit puzzled, - why as a resident of Quito would you need a driver to take you around all these places?

Are you in fact Francisco Lopez? or perhaps you're a friend of his?

I only ask out of genuine curiosity since you've created 2 posts plugging him.

Drayton Valley, AB...
Level Contributor
1 post
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Guide

We are looking for a private guide for travel to Ecuador in October 2012, We are flying into Guayaquil, then travelling to Cuenca and Vilcabamba. Need English speaking, non-smoking driver with reliable, comfortable vehicle.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,788 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Guide

You should look on the Guayaquil forum, then. Your hotel there can no doubt hook you up with a good driver.