We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Quito?

Chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Quito?

I am traveling there with my family (husband and two teen girls). We are going to be taking a trip into the Amazon, and will only be in Quito for two days. Could anyone recommend a good place to stay? I am not familiar with neighborhoods, or where a good location may be. Any thoughts....?

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Casa El Eden
Casa El Eden
#1 of 123 hotels in Quito
Casa Joaquin Boutique Hotel
Casa Joaquin Boutique Hotel
#6 of 123 hotels in Quito
Hostal Zentrum
Hostal Zentrum
#8 of 123 hotels in Quito
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

Most travelers choose one of two areas: el centro ("Old Town") or the Mariscal district. El centro is the historic center of Quito and has plenty of museums and churches to visit and pleasant plazas for sitting and people-watching. It's beautiful lit up at night. The Mariscal, aka Gringolandia, is home to shops, bars, and restaurants that cater to tourists. It is probably the more lively choice for teenagers. It's closer to the airport.

It's difficult to advise on specific hotels without knowing your budget or tastes. I recommend clicking on the Quito Hotels link near the top left and choosing several that appeal to you, then narrowing that down; if it comes down to a hard choice between 2 or 3, that's when the forum folks can help you decide.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

Thank you for your information. I think we would prefer to stay in Old Town, and I have looked on the list of hotels, but am not sure which hotels are located closest to this area? Our budget is flexible, since it is only a two day stay (between 200-300 a night at the most, but not necessary if there is a quaint hotel for less, we are open to this as well)... any suggestions?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

These hotels in el centro are reviewed and recommended (note: I have never stayed at any of them; I'm just going by the reviews).. A couple of them look out of your price range, but those are "rack rates," which nobody actually pays. If never hurts to ask for the best rate.

Casa Gangotena

Hotel Mansion del Angel

Hotel Plaza Grande

Hotel Patio Andaluz

Hotel El Relicario del Carmen

Hotel San Francisco de Quito

Mentioned in this post
Casa Gangotena
Casa Gangotena
773 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Hotel Plaza Grande
Hotel Plaza Grande
330 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Hotel Patio Andaluz
Hotel Patio Andaluz
1,323 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Hotel El Relicario del Carmen
Hotel El Relicario del...
143 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Hotel San Francisco de Quito
Hotel San Francisco de...
404 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

Thank you for the information Azbucedora!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

I'd be interested in hearing where you end up staying, and how you liked it.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

I have never been to Casa Gangotena as its opening is fairly recent. I was flying back from Quito last month and some pax were talking about it. They said it was absolutely wonderful!! I will check it out personally when I go down for Christmas. I do know Patio Andaluz, I think it could be a good option.

Good luck!!

Ricardo

Mentioned in this post
Casa Gangotena
Casa Gangotena
773 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Quito
Quito
Hotel Patio Andaluz
Hotel Patio Andaluz
1,323 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Los Angeles
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

I too think I would like to stay in the Old Town. I would like to be able to walk the streets to local sites( mostly during the day). Would you recommend old town for a woman arriving alone at midnight and staying alone in Quito for 2 days, or is the new town a smarter, safer choice? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Otavalo
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

Winged, it depends if you wish to spend a fair amount of money, like the aforementioned places, then they would of course send reliable transportation for you at midnight. I think if you take precautions, you should be fine, I would not wear alot of jewelry to stand out in the old city. Also it is a very ethnic experience down there, lots of history that you can 'take in.'

The Mariscal area (Gringoland area, starting at the north end of the El Ejido Park) might be a better option for upscale things, restaurants, shopping...different flavors. They are close and I have even walked into the Colonial part from Gringoland, there is the trolley that will take you to Santo Domingo Plaza down there, can get it on Calle Amazonas in the north or at the park.

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Los Angeles
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

Thank you for you input! Two hotels were recommended to me. I would love your input on them as well, if you know of them. Cafe Cultura and La Rabida. Again, thanks so much.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Quito?

I've stayed at patio andaluz four times & really enjoyed it. last time I stayed in gringolandia & didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Next time I'll return to the old town area & hotel patio andaluz.

Get answers to your questions about Quito