We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Ecuador

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday in Ecuador

I'm planning to go to Ecuador in February for a week with my mother (62 years old). We would like to relax yet have some culture. Do you recommend Quito or Guayaquil? Many thanks.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Ecuador

As a Medical Doctor I have the opportunity to travel all over south america, because we have links with many hospitals down there, and while I'm 'in town' I go out and take a good look of the places that I visit, in my last trip I went to Peru, Colombia & Ecuador due to a medical research, that includes a presentation of the new medication.

Anyway I found very interesting and beautiful places to be at that I even personally recommend as a 'must see' category are the towns of Quito & Guayaquil, in equator both of this towns have its particular style which have remarkable places to see an spend a day looking around, the beautiful landscape on Quito's big valley or the majestic Guayaquil's pier along the guayas river, which has hundred of places to eat and shop all the way with its tremendous bargains all over, that can really drive out crazy any shopper for the leather fine products that they offer as well as the quality of its fine leather jackets all over.

Guayaquil's busy atmosphere, has a lot to offer to any particular tourist, as soon as you reach this port you will find something going on in town, when I went they had the October festival and I could admire the fair across the river as well as the fire works and the local market which happens to be one of the best in latin american, from there you can take a boat ride across the river to the old malecon, if you love bird watching I would recommend you to go to the zoo they have many species all over a good web site to check is www.visitaguayaquil.com

Quito's beautiful weather spring all year around gives you a nice enviroment to look around if you are Quito don't miss to go up hill to the cable car or teleferico you will enjoy so much the visit, please take your cam along the way or go to the following web site www.teleferiqo.com.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in Ecuador

I went for a quick visit to Ecuador and our team ended up staying in Guayaquil for the whole week, this modern port located right on the Ecuadorean coast has a lot to offer to any visitor's that want to explore this summery town and its chocolate river along the way, provide with many hotels to fit anyone's budget Guayaquil has many US hotels five stars like the Hilton <My favor>, Sheraton, Howard Johnson, Best Western, Oro Verde <Runs by the Swiss, Excellent> and many more that will certainly make your stay very enjoyable.

Guayaquil is a colorful and modern city, surrounded by beautiful beaches (Only an hour away like Salinas) there you can practice all the water sports and created your own schedule exploring this magnificent beaches.

Guayaquil's downtown has certainly many places to visit, there anyone can spent two days seeing so many beautiful tourist attraction, that give you the impression that you haven't see enough, take a walk along the Guayas River and enjoy its flavor, this pier built by the Oxford University of London, certainly has almost two miles of places to shop, eat and sightseeing all in one place, take all the pictures you want and enjoy Guayaquil's flavor in any of the restaurants along the way.

If you love the birds, I will recommend you "Cerro Blanco" is a bird watcher's paradise, or if you like the Eco-tourism go to "Puerto Hondo" there one can experience the mangroves and take a nice tour on the guide canoe trip.

If your final destination is the Galapagos Island you can departure right from Guayaquil's airport because this town is a gateway to the Galapagos and offer more non-stop services than any other airport in the country, is only an hour and half fly from Guayaquil.

3. Re: Holiday in Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:30 am, November 17, 2005