We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quito to Guayaquil transportation

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Quito to Guayaquil transportation

I am going to be flying into Guayaquil and spending a week helping out in Manta. After we are done I hope to be able to go to Quito as the only other place I have seen is Machala. I plan on spending about 5 more days and figure I will fly at least one way since it looks like flights are less than $75. one way. I had thought about bus or train but not sure if train available all the way. It is hard to find this info out. Also the budget is fairly limited. Any advise?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quito to Guayaquil transportation

i dunno about taking a bus...i took one from Quito to Cuenca and it took what seemed like FOREVER...although places may not be too far apart, you have to consider the huge mountain range that gets in the way and can add travel time. I remember Machala....good times and tons of bananas...hehe..i would just recommend flying since it seems to be quite cheap.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
371 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quito to Guayaquil transportation

The last I knew, the train isn't available. I'm guessing that between the costs to run it and the lack of upkeep with the engine/tracks, it most likely will take a while before it comes back. (Though my Ecuadorian friends say it runs every once in a GREAT while for some odd reason.) I never took it and I still kick myself for not having taken that train to see the Devil's nose back in 1995 when my host brother and friends invited me.

I agree that the bus seems to take forever. I seem to like the 8-9 hour bus ride between Quito and Guayaquil. It's my time to enjoy staring out the window and helps me feel relaxed. However, I'm usually in Ecuador with plenty of time to spare for the bus rides. If you're more pressed for time, I'd recommend flying.

I'd be surprised if you ever end up finding Ecuador bus info. on the internet. I wonder if they'll get that up & running any time soon though I'm not holding my breath.

Definitely get to Cuenca! It's one of my favorite places to visit even though I've been there on numerous occasions. Not much changes but the colonial charm brings me back every time.

I'd also recommend you take an afternoon/evening to see the Malecon/Las Penas area of Guayaquil. I find it incredibly safe and quite enjoyable.

3. Re: Quito to Guayaquil transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 26, 2009