We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten & lactose free

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Topic
Gluten & lactose free

Can I find gluten and lactose free food (stores, Shops, Restaurants, Hotels) in Ecuador? And where?

Thank you

C.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,331 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten & lactose free

This has come up previously. Check in the search box above. Start with gluten free, then lactose free. I seem to recall there were some good tips.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten & lactose free

Stupid me ;-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,331 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten & lactose free

No problem. I have similar issues, but can eat corn. When in Peru, here the local food is similar, I just ate as much local food as I could, as it tended to be more diet compliant than a tourist restaunt. Do bring packaged snacks you can eat, and pick up fresh fruit and veg from stalls or markets. I don't get to Ecuador until Feb so can't be specific.

Depending on where you go and what you are doing, it might vary as to how accessible things are. Always let any tour agent, lodge or ship know beforehand...and you migt have to remind them again upon arrival.

Edited: 12:19 pm, October 14, 2013
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten & lactose free

Great News!

We just had a client who had the same restrictions and she actually had more options than the vegetarians on the trip. Because Ecuadorians use a lot of plantain, yucca, and quinoa flour, gluten free is relatively easy and dairy is no problem (just make sure they're not cooking with butter if you're super sensitive). I'm including a little card that will help you explain your gluten-allergy in restaurants. http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/spanish/ or glutenfreepassport.com/wp-content/uploads/20…

As for grocery stores, the MegaMaxi (kind of like a Super Wal-Mart here...they carry everything!) will have items designated Gluten-Free with tags on the aisles similar to what we have in the States. You may also find this in the city at SuperMaxi. Otherwise, we bought some quinoa cakes, peanut butter packets, nut mixes, and plantain chips for our guest before we left the city and she had plenty to snack on throughout the week. One hotel even made her a gluten & dairy free chocolate cake with strawberries for her birthday...Awesome!

Good luck and enjoy the week! Tons of tasty treats await you ;)

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten & lactose free

Ohhhh, knowing how good the chocolate and strawberries are in Ecuador, I'll bet that cake was divine!

6. Re: Gluten & lactose free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 16, 2014