We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a Smartphone usefull in Equador?

Hamburg, Germany
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is a Smartphone usefull in Equador?

Hey all,

I'm wondering if it is usefull to buy a smartphone for Ecuador and Galapagos. I'll be there for about 4 months.

On the one hand i think it could help with gps or google maps, or other usefull things to look up when being around in Quito(Most times I'll be there). But there is also the possibillity that it gets stolen, or there is no internet, so maybe i wouldn't be able to use it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Puyo, Ecuador
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a Smartphone usefull in Equador?

Yes. I use one and i know alotta people who use them. Even poor people, lol. Wi-FI is available in most more "classy" restaurants and i think MOVISTAR has a 3G plan, which shouldn't exceed 15$ per month, maybe even less.

And to get a MOVISTAR MICRO SIM, you first need to get a normal SIM, then they will transfer the number from the normal SIM to the MICRO SIM. IT costs about 9$

Hamburg, Germany
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a Smartphone usefull in Equador?

Thanks!

West Hollywood...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a Smartphone usefull in Equador?

How did it work out for you, Dan? I'm heading down there in a few days, and just realized I may not be as connected as I planned to be. Can you use the smartphone as a wifi hub, as we do in the states?

4. Re: Is a Smartphone usefull in Equador?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 12, 2014