We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Months Backpacking - Camera Gear + Backpack Pack

Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
6 Months Backpacking - Camera Gear + Backpack Pack

Hi,

Just looking for some advice or info as to how anyone has travelled before with Camera Equipment and your Backpacking Pack.

I currently have one large 40L Camera Bag (which can be converted to an everyday backpack) at the moment which can hold all of my camera gear. I love photography and so I want to take all of my gear with me on my South America trip, however I will also need to be lugging a large Backpacking Pack around with me also. The last time I was backpacking through Africa, I had less camera gear and so it was never really an issue.

Has anyone ever travelled with two backpacks over a 6 month period or more?

Any help would be good.

Cheers

Ryan

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Months Backpacking - Camera Gear + Backpack Pack

Well, I've certainly done this, and did it on my first trip to Ecuador. Assuming you will be using buses, buy a typical grain sack and some rope in Quito. Use that to cover your large backpack and stash it in the cargo hold under the bus; it will stay cleaner that way, and not look so obviously touristy. Keep your camera bag with you at all times. You can also buy a zippered plastic shopping bag and put it in that, then put it in the overhead--BUT--place it across the aisle and down a few rows where you can see it at all times.

Never let anyone handle your luggage for you, even if they look official; a lot of thieves pose as bus attendants.

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Months Backpacking - Camera Gear + Backpack Pack

Cheers for the info. Just wasn't sure whether it was too much of an effort carrying two large bags constantly while backpacking but if it can be done then no worries at all.

When going on tours though do the companies provide somewhere to store your large backpack so you can bring your camera gear alone? Or will everything have to be carried. Most of the time I'm sure ill be at a hostel whilst doing a tour but if I'm not? What is the process there?

Thanks

Ryan

London
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Months Backpacking - Camera Gear + Backpack Pack

Hi, we travelled for about 18 months on an around the world trip starting of in Sierra Leone and ending with six months in South America. Like you, I am a keen photographer but only took a SLR body plus a mid range zoom. We ended up travelling with two large back packs and two smaller packs. It was ok for the first few months but soon became a real pain, especially on the SA portion of the trip where we travelled exclusively by bus and security was an issue and we watched our bags like hawks.

We are setting off again in May for 6 months in South America and having learnt our lesson from our last trip we have decided to travel only with carry on bags, in our case Lowe Alpine Carry On TT 40 which meet the requirements of all major airlines. The only extra bags we are taking will be small day packs which Lan allow for the transatlantic flight. Having travelled for a couple of months at a time using these bags we much prefer the freedom travelling light enables. Photography is not the prime objective of our trip so I invested in a Panasonic TZ 120 which, although not providing the creative flexibility of my old Canon SLR, takes some pretty good pictures.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Months Backpacking - Camera Gear + Backpack Pack

Ryan, what do you mean by "tours?" I was under the impression you were traveling independently. There may be local tour companies that have luggage storage available. However, hotels will usually allow you to stash extra gear while you travel, so long as you are staying there upon your return to Quito (and you may have to pay for one night in advance).

Crellston has some good points to consider.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
5. Re: 6 Months Backpacking - Camera Gear + Backpack Pack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 15, 2014