We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

Hi all

I am planning a trip to South America leaving in around a month. I am interested in doing some short term volunteering as part of my trip. I don't speak Spanish however taking a basic Spanish course will be the first thing I do. I would probably rather not teach English as I don't think I would be very good at it. If anyone knows of any volunteering opportunities and even ones that incorporate Spanish lessons I would really like to hear about them.

Thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

Take a look at Terracentro Spanish School http://www.terracentrospanishschool.com/ There is a link there for volunteerism; besides the ones listed, they can put you in contact with other organizations (there are some that work with street kids). The director of the school has been my personal tutor for over a year and a half, so I can recommend them. They will design a program for your specific needs and can arrange a homestay for you as well; that´s the best way to practice your Spanish. On weekends you´ll be free to travel and see some of the country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

Brilliant, Thanks thats exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for!

Quito
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

Hello Ras78,

Ecuador is a good place to lear Spanish, specially on the highlands, as the language has not many slangs and the pronunciation is quite clear.

There is another option for you to check as well, is call Simon Bolivar Spanish School, they offer Spanish Lessons 1 to 1 and also can help you with a volunteer program that you can choose depending what you want, if it is with children, medicine, elder people or any other that you need or may require.

I know the owner and I can tell you is a good ambience and option for you in Quito, check it out if you have the chance: http://www.simon-bolivar.com/

Good luck!

Fernanda

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

Thanks Fernanda I am going to look into it!

Quito
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

Good luck!! let me know how it goes :D

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

Hi all,

Sorry to interrupt. I'm just posting this test message to assist a TripAdvisor member with some technical difficulties. Please disregard this message.

Thanks,

Dan

7. Re: volunteer Opportunities & Learning Spanish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 10, 2012