We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan 26th in Valparaiso - Santiago. Any suggestions ?????

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tiburon, California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jan 26th in Valparaiso - Santiago. Any suggestions ?????

Hi

We will be in Valparaiso - Santiago for one day. I know, I know. Not much but we have to take what we can get.

We are cruising into port on the Queen Mary 2 on Jan 25th . We will be in port from from about 7am until 7 pm and are looking for suggestions on how best to spend the day.

We are looking for someone to pick us up and show us Valpariso and Santiago. A more real vist and not only the usual tour groups tour sites. The kind of tour we would give to someone coming to San Francisco. Places to eat, walk, sit and watch, etc. We could pay for a car and driver, tour guide, civilian or whatever.... (we are in our 50's very active and well traveled)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

shirley and dean

San Francisco California

(we would love reciprocate if you ever come to San Francisco....)

email.... tripadvisor@echenberg.org

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
231 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jan 26th in Valparaiso - Santiago. Any suggestions ?????

Shirley:

I believe that 12 hours is not enough to see both cities. Santiago is 2 hours away from Valparaiso. Then you have the site seeing, any traffic, lunch hour, time to actually get out of the car and stroll around. Also consider any kind of delay in docking (ship), all-in-all it’s too tight. You might want to choose one and see as much as you can of the selected city. One day for Santiago is too little, but if it’s all you got, you can see as much as you can. It depends on your interests and your budget also. Obviously the cheapest option is too stay in Valparaiso (since you’re already there).

It’s up to you.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jan 26th in Valparaiso - Santiago. Any suggestions ?????

Hi

Well, operators do that kind of tours but honestly (i worked in one) it is quiet exhausting.

I would suggest to spend some hours on the hills of Valparaiso, mainly Cerro Alegre and Cordillera. There is a nice walkway that you can do quiet quickly. Then i would suggest gpoing to Santiago for a late lunch at the Central Market where you will see what i call the real Chile or in some nice area like Bellavista or Lastarria. Of course somewhere where you can eat fish before leaving Chile.

Then a visit to the crentre to the most important buildings like the Goverment Palace or the Cathedral.

I would not suggest you to see modern areas as Las Condes or Vitacura, there you will not see anything interesting, just skycrapers and things you see in any ither modern city of the world.

cheers

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,095 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jan 26th in Valparaiso - Santiago. Any suggestions ?????

Shirley & Dean...don't know if they do tours with pick up In valparaiso but you might try About Chile.. we used them for a day trip in November..from Santiago to Valparaiso..had a very good guide and a driver in a mini van ( ther were 4 of us. We planned our own itinerary with a pick up at our hotel, a winery stop a walk around a small part of valparaiso, rides on 2 funiculars and another winery stop on the way back to Santaigo.

Coming from Sf you probably won't want to do the wine stops( they are simiar to Napa but not as easily accessible. ) Anyway even if you get off the ship by 8:30 you could be in Santiago by 10 am or so ( I don't think it took a full 2 hours).. .. maybe visit the Museum of Pre-Columbian Art ( truly a great museum..not crammed full of stuff but fine pieces well displayed).. or just sit in the Plaza des Armas and have a cerveza and watch the artists....leave Santiago by 3pm.. back to Valpo by 5.. spend an hour in Valparaiso ... be sure to ride one of the ascensors

Our full day cost was $62 per person for 4 of us which was a guide and driver for 11 hours.

their website is www.chileabout.com Carla was very helpful and for sure will get back to you by email and at least let you know if they do this.

4. Re: Jan 26th in Valparaiso - Santiago. Any suggestions ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 27, 2009