We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

What is the best way to travel? Is a rental car an option? Are there trips from Puerto Montt through the Lakes to Bariloche?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Montt
Puerto Montt
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

You cannot leave a car rented in Chile in Argentina. Otherwise a car is a reasonable option you can either drive directly or take a ferry. It will be the busiest time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Argentina
Argentina
South America
santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

you can travel by four ways

a) a rental, but returning the car to Chile at the same point of departure

b) a bus, three lines with two frequencies per day , morning and midday, from Osorno, all can be arranged in same Valaparaiso

c) the lakes crossing ,but it is by a touristic operator (not by public bus or cars) see http://www.crucedelagos.com/ (a bit expensive for some people)

d) a bus to Panguipulli (you must switch in Santiago, but all the track can be arranged in Valparaiso) and in Panguipulli the abus Lafit to San Martin (including a ferry crossing lale Pirihueico), and then othe bus to Bariloche.

In the last time several posts appear asking for a "ferry" crossing to Bariloche, that is non existant, may be someone talk about the ferry crossing of lake Pirihueico but this altenative is too complex, no direct and with a one per week frequency of Lafit bus to San Martin

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Valparaiso
Valparaiso
Valparaiso Region, Chile
Townsville...
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

Fernando 46,

So we can get a bus from Valparaiso through Osorno and cross the Andes to Bariloche. I assume we will have to change buses. Do you know which bus lines?

Mentioned in this post
Valparaiso
Valparaiso
Valparaiso Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

Two bus companies that I know of will take you from Santiago to Osorno, where you would change bus for Bariloche. Turbus and Cruz del Sur will sell you the ticket Santiago/Bariloche on partner buses Tas Choapa and Bus Norte. You might be able to buy the Turbus one (including Valparaiso/Santiago) in Valparaiso. I don't think Cruz del Sur has offices there.

Edited: 5:44 pm, January 15, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Valparaiso
Valparaiso
Valparaiso Region, Chile
Jaipur, Indi
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

Sorry to butt in - researching a trip - presumably one can do the trip the other way Bariloche - Valparaiso??

Mentioned in this post
Valparaiso
Valparaiso
Valparaiso Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

Yes, of course.

Jaipur, Indi
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

Thanks, I am so sorry it wasn't until after I had sent the message that I realised it was so old!! );

Any other general tips/advice for that kind of trip?, starting to plan for October/Nov this year, aiming to do about a month altogether in between both places, backpacking, hoping to find a cheap apartment in Vapo for a week or so.

TIA, Barry

8. Re: Travel from Valpariso - Bariloche in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 17, 2016