We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valparaiso to Santiago airport

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia PA
Level Contributor
629 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Valparaiso to Santiago airport

This is only for curiosity, but I am curious. I just returned from a cruise that ended in Valparaiso. I debarked at around 9:30AM, and my plane back to the USA left at 9:30PM.

What would you say would be the best way to spend those hours? Getting to the airport on time, of course, but also seeing a little of Santiago or Valparaiso and Vina del Mar, visiting a winery in the valley just East of Valparaiso, etc.? Making sure that the luggage is secure as well. How would an expert do it, assuming that you are not met by a friend at the dockside?

Jerry

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago airport

Well, do I have to tote my luggage with me? Then I would need to be in some sort of transport rather than public transport. If I had a car and driver I would do a tour of Valparaíso with lots of photo opportunities, maybe visit Neruda's house there, have a coffee at the Turri. Then I would head for a Casablanca valley vineyard for a tour and lunch. Some of the vineyards do lunch, not cheap usually, but there are alternatives on the highway. I might stop at Los Hornitos for lunch. After my vineyard tour, I would tell the driver to head for Santiago. I would get him to drop me at the Moneda Presidential palace and would explore the area on foot. I want to see my luggage agin so I am very sure about my driver and arrange a pickup time with him. Am I a gentleman on my own? I would find a "café con piernas" for a coffee. If my wife had a good sense of humour I would go with her. Or perhaps I would rather get the driver to take me to Los Dominicos in las Condes to explore the craft market. Or he might drive me up the Cerro San Cristobal for a view of the city. It might just be doable to cover Valparaíso, vineyard and a taste of Santiago.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago airport

What was your solution. I am getting off a ship in Valpariso and have a flight at 6PM.

Are there plenty of cars available for the number of passengers getting off?

I thought I would visit Vina del Mar and then go to the airport. Any comment?

Ashland...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago airport

I've been told (by multiple sources) that there's a LAN bus to the airport from Vina, so that sounds like a good idea.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago airport

Hi,

DancingMolly gave some excellent ideas for spending your time until the flight departs. After you collect your luggage at the port terminal,there will be a travel desk before you exit the building. They have shuttles avialable for direct transport to the airport and they will put together groups or you can book a shuttle for yourselves or for your group(usually 8 to 10 passengers). If you would like to do some of the suggestions which DM mentions then negotiate the tour price with the travel desk. After the tour the driver will take you to the airport for your flight.

Some other ideas are tours to Vina delMar or maybe some wine tasting on the way to Santiago. If you haven't visited Santiago, then that would be an excellent tour including the Plaza Armas and the surrounding areas, Darwin Park and the Madonna on the Hill as suggested by DM. The cruise ship will offer a similar tour, however if you look at your documents it will be quite expensiv. You can accomplish the same tour for less than half the price with a smaller group and truly enjoy the area.

Enjoy!!

5. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 27, 2009