We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Metro in Santiago

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Using the Metro in Santiago

My wife and I are arriving at the Santiago SCL airport. We have been told one way to our Hotel is to take the Airport bus #1 to the Pajaritos Metro stop and Ride Line #1 to the Los Leones Stop. WE arrive about 6 Am and after getting luggage, clearing customs and changing some money it may be 7 AM. Here are area I need help with.

1. Do either of those stops have escalators or elevators for easier luggage movement?.

2. Can we both bring one rolling piece of luggage on the Metro at that time of day?

3. Is there a special fare for Seniors over 65 years of age? If so how do we get that special ticket.

4. Does the Metro have a 1,2 or 3 day pass we can buy?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Metro in Santiago

I suggest you take either a taxi or one of the shared transfer vans to your hotel. The metro is no place you want to be during rush hour and with luggage, or even without luggage. Transvip and Turtransfer have vans which will cost you about US$10 each to Providencia. A taxi will be about US$35 for both of you.

A lot of the metro stops have escalators exiting the station but usually after stairs up from the platform to the next level. The senior rates only apply to registered locals after an application process. There are no multi-day tickets.You can buy individual tickets or purchase a BIP smartcard and load some money on it if you are going to use the metro a lot or wish to use buses as well.

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Metro in Santiago

Thanks

i go from a 4 month delay for my earlier question to a 6 minute reply.

JPKCAK

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Metro in Santiago

It sometimes happens like that. Most of us answer in our spare time and sometimes that is in short supply. Hope you have the answers you want now.

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Metro in Santiago

Hello,

As usual, I totally agree with Molly.

Anyway,other than during rush hours, our metro is pretty clean, safe and easy to understand.

One problem as a senior: the maps outside the stations are good and accurate but the letters are incredibly small. :)

Kind regards from Valparaíso,

Jdelapaz

5. Re: Using the Metro in Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 26, 2011