We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valparaiso for 1 day - what to do?

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Valparaiso for 1 day - what to do?

I will be in Valparaiso for 1 day in June of 2006 - what are the must see sights? I'm thinking the ascensores are a must - but what else? I'm big into photography so anything that will get me great pictures would be nice.

Thanks!!!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valparaiso for 1 day - what to do?

Only in Spanish, but go here:

http://www.valparaisonline.cl/#

It has all the places you might want to see plus photos of each of the ascensores. That plus a good seafood lunch should fill the day. June is winter, so I hope you have some nice weather for your visit.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valparaiso for 1 day - what to do?

I know few places as photogenic as Valparaiso. Take the ascensors then just wander around. It is grerat even if a bit run down. There will be cats trying to catch pigeons, lots of dogs, incredible views of washing against the Pacific, houses with innumberable entrances as the hug the hills. In reality, the ascensores are not the half of it. Beware the pickpockets.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,948 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valparaiso for 1 day - what to do?

visit La Sebastiana Pablo Neruda beautiful house at Bellavista hill. Very interesting and well worth the steep climb. Take a elevator ride on the Concepcvion elevator for a great view of the harbour/port city..great spot for photos.visit the 21 de mayo observatory and sotomayor square with all historic monuments and buildings, if you have time, take a bus ride to Vina Del Mar..coastal resort..fabulous.(A must do)