We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

vap
oakland, ca
Level Contributor
53 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

I went to Valpo and was listening to friends who had been there saying it was a dirty, ugly city worth only a day. I found Michael Arnold on the TA forum and asked him to tour myself and a friend for a day, maybe two.

What a difference a guide like Michael makes! He took us up and down and up and well, you know all over the city showing us sights we would never have seen. I was interested in art and architecture and my friend history and he masterfully combined both for us.

We added a day and he took us to Isla Negra and the wine country as well as a few hidden beaches.

He loves taking small groups around and showing them what a great area it is - his passion shows.

I highly recommend him!

Tours 4 Tips
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Campesano
Horseback Riding Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Wineries & Vineyards, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Michael the German Pirate
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

My wife and I will also be touring Valpo with Michael in less then two weeks. I'll write a short review for the TA forum.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

Touring with Michael is a MUST. There were just 3 of us in the group. He customized a tour for use so that the walking was not to strenuous. It was facinating. If you go to Val, be sure to book a tour with Michael.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

I am just back from a cruise that ended in Valparaiso March 2nd, 3 days after the devastating earthquake. I had already had Michael booked for a tour/transfer to the Santiago airport and I believe that it was divine providence that I had. Michael was an angel in helping us purchase bus tickets to Mendoza, securing our luggage and ggiving us a bit of a walking tour of his fantastic city. His assistance was invaluable. I would beyond a shadow of a doubt recommend Michael if you are looking to connect with a person who loves Valparaiso and its people, who has an appreciation of the untouristy gems of the city and who will not rip you off.

There was a lot of price gouging going on after the quake....by so called "licensed" guides, but Michael was wonderful in suggesting less for his tour than previously agreed upon as it was abbreviated at best. I have to laugh as I asked Michael not to leave us until he saw us waving goodbye from the window of the bus and he did so. It was like saying goodbye to a friend.

Michael AND Valparaiso were a highlight of a wonderful trip, even when it did not end as planned.

Level Contributor
1,799 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

I did the same tour last August and I had a great time learning about the city with Michael. He is such a kind person and it was a treat to be able to see Valparaiso with someone who knows the city so well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

We are going to Chile in December. How do I contact Michael?

Cheers

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

He has a web page, www.myvalparaiso.cl/eng/home.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

Thanks for that.

8. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, September 01, 2010
Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

My husband and I travelled to Chile a few months ago. We decided to look into a tour guide for the time we were spending in Valparaiso which was 4 days. Seeing as though we did not speak the language and were not spending a great deal of time in Chile (7 nights in total) we thought our time would be better spent with someone taking us around. We had contacted several companies and Michael was the first one to get back to us. It was important for Michael to understand what our needs were for our stay and he catered for our days perfectly. Even though it was during the quieter but festive season of independence celebrations we managed see so much of Valparaiso and its surrounds. Michael picked us up from Santiago and we drove through The Casablanca wine region. Throughout our entire trip we stopped at the most local and honest restaurants which was part of our brief to Michael. And he did not dissapoint. He knew alot of the owners/families/workers at these places and from this showed us that he truly does support the local Chilean communities and they were very appreciative of this too. The knowledge of the Valparaiso streets that Michael has is unsurpassable. The history, the people, the vantage points, and all the stories behind every door. We could have walked those streets for days with him. And most importantly we felt extremely safe throughout our stay knowing that we had a local with us. Michael also dropped us back to Santiago. With that we ended our tour of Valparaiso and the surrounds on such a high note for our next stop. We will never forget anything that Michael showed or taught us about Valparaiso and the Chilean culture. And having thee most memorable holiday and honeymoon, we can't thankyou enough Michael!!!! We have since referred Michael on to many other Aussies travelling that way. All the best Michael, Valparaiso and many other towns/cities needs more honest guides like you! The Stephensons from Oz

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Michael Arnold - Tour Guide

My friend and I visited Valparaiso from Santiago as a day trip in December 2010. We learned of Michael from some travel forums and had very good interaction with him prior to our arrival in the city.

Michael met us at the bus station in the morning and took us on a car + walking tour around the city. We managed to cover a lot of ground with that day, which included visits to many unusual places, like a fire hall and the stock exchange. I'm pretty sure had we not had Michael with us, we would not be able to see as much of Valparaiso as we did in such a short time. He is also a wealth of information about the city's history. If we had more time, we probably would have booked him for a tour of the wine region.

You can look him up on his website at http://myvalparaiso.cl/eng/home.htm.