We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago or Valpariso

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago or Valpariso

I am embarking on a cruise in Valpariso, I will be flying in one day early. What is the concensus, should I stay in Valpariso, or should I stay in Santiago? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santiago or Valpariso

There is no consensus. The two are very different and both very worthwhile visiting. Santiago is a very large city with lots of different things to offer. Valparaiso is smaller, unique and walkable. If you are coming between December and February Santiago will be hotter.

With only a day, Valparaiso is more manageable.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Valparaiso
Valparaiso
Valparaiso Region, Chile
Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santiago or Valpariso

Hello,

I agree with Toid.

If you only have one day, it may be better to spend it in a place where everything is near, with less traffic jams and where you can walk around and really get something of the spirit of the country in a few hours.

Valparaíso, a World Heritage City by UNESCO since 2003, was chosen as final destination by the first big wawe of European immigrants during the XIX century for many reasons, being the mild weather only one of them.

Wishing you a nice trip,

regards from Valparaíso,

Jdelapaz

3. Re: Santiago or Valpariso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 29, 2010