We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self guided or organized tours in Santigo and Valparaiso

new york
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
self guided or organized tours in Santigo and Valparaiso

please let me know if you have an opinion as to whether we can see the citie of Santiago and Valparaiso and Vin del mar by ourselves or if we should take a tour or a private guide - I owuld appreciate your suggestions -

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self guided or organized tours in Santigo and Valparaiso

I think that, if you can afford it, in a strange city it is worthwhile taking a tour or a guide.

new york
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self guided or organized tours in Santigo and Valparaiso

Toid - thanks for responding - you are the guy who works for the UN right?

do you have any suggestions as to which company to use or do you know a resonable private guide? i am a party of 3 ( me and my 2 young adult children) -

we usually do the self guided walks - rather than a bus tour, but we really have only 2 1/2 days in Chile so we have to make the most of our time

we want to spend the first day in the city -

the second day going to Valparaiso and Vin Del mar

and what would you suggest for the third day - we don't want to see wineries as we are coming from Mendoza.

what is your nationality and where are your form?

you were helpful with my questions a few months ago - good to hear from you again.

Valparaiso
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: self guided or organized tours in Santigo and Valparaiso

Hi Malibubum,

I´m Juergen from Germany. I´m surely not so a travel

expert like Toid. But I can recommend you a very

good guide in Valparaiso. His name is Michael.

He is from Germany, he knows the city extremely

well and his fees are very reasonable. He can pick you

up at the bus staion in Valparaiso.

Don´t go on these standard commercial tours by bus,

this is a complete rip-off.

We had to super days with Michael and it was probably

the best money we spent on our whole trip to Chile.

He has also a good website with a lot af recommendations. (www.myvalparaiso.cl)

Best regards from good old Germany

Juergen

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self guided or organized tours in Santigo and Valparaiso

Knowing a little more about you I will modify my reply. You can walk Santiago alone. I would suggest that you start downtown by taking the subway to the La Moneda station. There take the northern exit and turn right one on the street. You will be a few metres from La Moneda, itself, the preseidential offices. You ca walk through. If you are there at 10.00 you can see the changing of the guard in the Plaza de la Constitución on the north side. On the south side there is an arts centre which often has interesting exhibitions.

Cross the Plaza and walk east up Mercéd passed the ex-Congresso and the Law Courts on the corner opposite the Law Courts is the Museo de Arte Pre-Colombino with one of the best collection of pre-Colombian art anywhere. Continue until you get to the Plaza de Armas (the Cathedral, the Central Post Office, the Palaciode la Real Audiencia (seat of the colonial government). If you then go north taking either Puente or 21 de Mayo you will end up at the Mercado Central Not much of a market but a good place for seafood.

After lunch cross the river and walk north along Recoleta passed the real market (La Vega). Turn right when you reach Lopez de Bello and walk through Patronato (clothes) and then continue into Bellavista (art galleries, bars and restaurants continue to Pio Nono then go north again and tke the funicular up Cerro San Cristobal. You can walk down or take a cable car to Avda. El Cerro in Providencia.

Some other suggestions are on these sites,

www.chipsites.com/santiago_neighborhoods/

www.in-lan.com/en/0611/travellist_1.html

I am Canadian.

5. Re: self guided or organized tours in Santigo and Valparaiso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 27, 2009