We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

4 of us are arriving in Valparaiso next April 11th via a cruise ship.We would like to go to Santiago for a few days on our own.What kind of transportation could we get and how much would it cost ?We will have a bit of luggage with us.

Thank you for your reswponse

Hedi Huber

San juan Capistrano ,CA

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

You could rent a van at the cruise terminal to drive to Santiago with a tour of the wineries included for around US$200.

capitola, ca.
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

We 2 are planning a tour from Valpariso to Santiago in Dec.

I was quoted $139 per person for a 6 hour van tour. They charge for more than average # of bags. We could book a car with one bag each, which of course, no cruiser would have, for $106pp, making it their way to have us pay for a van for 2. I want to stop at museums and places of interest as I would in a taxi, but not the winery on the way, nor tour Santiago, but go from Valpariso to Vina del Mar, then to Santiago which is 75 miles from port.

Turisimo Nuevo Mundo is the tour company operating in So. Am..

You can google them.

I have heard that you can book a cab at the pier, but negotiate prices first..and pay at the end. I have no idea about safety of baggage etc. when you leave the van for lunch or sightseeing.

Guess I'll know more in Jan.!

If you get any other responses, will you share them with me? Thanks,

Scharlene, Capitola, CA.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

We had good service from www.enaturchile.com - Victor Aballai is the administrative contact. We arranged two tours with him while on the Golden Princess in Feb, 2007, a tour in Puerto Montt, and a tour and, for part of our group, a transfer Valpariso to Santiago. We actually split the group at a winery just outside Santiago, and Victor sent two couples with luggage on to Santiago, and sent another van to meet us and take two couples back to the ship. It was all pretty complicated and went off without a hitch. Vehicles are nice, plenty of room for cruise luggage, and the price was quite reasonable at around $50 US per person.

Valparaiso, Chile
Level Contributor
53 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

You also could merely take the bus in Valparaiso. They have space for big luggage. it costs about 6 dollars one way, and takes 1h30 to reach Santiago.

That's the cheapest solution, but as you arrive from a cruise ship, I think it's better to rent a van, as it was said before

redding, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

We are taking the cruise from Valparaiso Feb. 7 to Buenos Aires Feb. 20. We are coming down from 2 weeks in Costa Rica and have 7 days before going on the cruise. Suggestions as to what to do (altitude is a problem) would be most welcomed. Also, any information about tours, renting an apartment, etc. in Buenos Aires needed. Thanks so much, Lyn and Walt Redding, CA

Pittsford, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

Try Tierra Maga. They are very good. Email to welcome@tierramaga.com and tell them Jean recommended you.

~~ C

santiago
Level Contributor
166 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

well, you could take a bus to santiago from the bus station, it takes 1:30 hour and you can carry luggage there, a lot of tourists use it as it is fast, convenient and cheap (i think it's about US$10 round trip).. you arrive in santiago in a metro station or you could get a cab from there.. a cab trip from santiago bus station to downtown would cost around US$8.

you can also hire a car, but i don't know the cost of that, and head to santiago.. you will see in the road a lot of wineries you can visit in the casablanca valley.

i personally love valparaiso, specially cerro alegre.. there are some really nice restaurants and great views over the bay...

santiago has some good neighbourhoods to visit; i specially recomend lastarria (in downtown) where you can find a lot of good cafes, restaurants and design shops.

if you get bored in santiago you can book a day trip to colchagua valley and visit some wineries, i have been told is it quite a nice tour.

check out their website: www.rutadelvino.cl

if you have any other questions, let me know.. i live in santiago and i check out this website a lot since i'm planning a trip to england :)

8. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:37 pm, January 06, 2008
Valparaíso, Viña...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

Hello

I think its better to rent a Van from Valparaíso Terminal Port to Santiago, cause I would no recomend to go to the terminal bus station with luggage.

But I mostly recomend to spend some days in Viña del Mar or Valparaíso, both are beautiful places that you must to know ,there are a lot kind of hotels, B&B... and others.

Greetings from Valparaíso!

Violeta

Valparaiso, Chile
Level Contributor
53 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valparaiso to Santiago/Chile

Violeta is absolutely right!