We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

Ok, nearly on my way to Chile

One last question, keep seeing some horrible prices for laundry $40 at hotels for example.

LP guide book mentions a Laundry on Provendencia (about No.1600 address I think) that is near the Phone Box Pub and states $5 dollars a load.

We may find one nearer the Park Plaza or otherwise we will walk over to this one.

This may seem silly, but how does it work?

I believe you drop off your items? Is it self-service to use the machines? or do you presennt your washing to the staff and they wash,dry, fold etc the items?

How big is a load ? Large carrier bag size?

How long does it take between drop-off and pick up?

Is $5 dollars about the right price, does this inlcude the washing powder/detergent, or is that extra?

Any tips on successful use of a Chilean laundry would be most appreciated.

Kenton

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

My husband always scouts out a lavanderia everywhere we go. He usually picks up and leaves off something every day. I went with him the first day so I think I can give you an idea of the cost. A load is a small laundry basket full. It was about $4 which included the wash, dry and folding. They give it back to you in a plastic bag. You can get individual shirts and pants done for about $1.50 each. That is washed, dried and ironed. They will fold them up unless you take them hangers. My husband took them wire hangers he brought with him.

The lavanderia we went to would have the wash done in four hours. We stayed in Barrio Brasil near the Centro which I imagine is less expensive than Providencia. There are virtually no tourists in that area so the places would reflect that. I am sure there is a lavanderia near where you will stay.

Our apartment building had a coin operated washing machine and dryer but the cost was $2 for each machine per load so it made more sense to get it done for the same amount. Your hotel may have coin machines.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

prices, not places

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

Barrio Brazil ! That's where we stayed some years ago in a tiny tiny B&B and loved it so much ! Walking distance to El Centro, much nicer than big hotel boxes in newer (I call them pasteurized) areas.

Sorry, this post has NOTHING to do with laundry ... just good memories.

London, England
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

reinarubia

brilliant response!

Just shocked by figures of $40 - use to dropping stuff off at - well any old place in Thailand that does the full wash for 60 baht a kilo which is just under a opund so just under $2 dollars.

So $4-5 for a armful is twice as much as Thailand but more managable than $40.

4 hours is good - drop stuff or then go sightseeing or for long lunch

thanks for the tips, hopefully won't end up stinking my way round Chile !!!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

Kenton

I'm glad it helped. We found the prices in Chile to be just a little less expensive than the ones we pay in average America. Of course, from what I've been hearing US prices are a bargain for the British right now.

Bayoute

That is exactly how we felt about the area. It was so convenient and we were living in a neighborhood but still only had to cross a foot bridge to get to the Huerfanos pedestrian walkway. We walked everywhere and only took a taxi a few times at night.

6. Re: A quickie _ Laundry in Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 16, 2009