We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

After seeing other forums, I strikes me that there is not such thread in Chilean forum.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

I will start with leather shoes. My husband several pairs of the guante brand made in Chile. He has an eye for good men's shoes that can be resoled. He claims the brand is very good. (Watch out for shoes made in China.)

I will add the to the list the alpaca shawls I bought for about $20 US each in the pedestrian walkways booths. (peatonals) They are made in Peru, it is true, but I found them to be of good quality. I have had mine for three years and it is very good.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

Guante is an excellent brand for men’s shoes. The ones that my husband owns had last forever. And they had only gotten replaced once he was able to go to Chile and buy a new pair.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

I bought a five peso silver coin (1927) for about $25US. I fits in a bezel that is made for the American silver dollar that is available at coin dealers. It makes a beautiful pendant. The front of the coin is of an Andean condor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andean_Condor

Also lapis lazuli jewelery is very good. It is possible to find good quality in Bellavista and the duty free airport shops. There is a good selection in silver and gold.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

Entrelagos chocolates that are made in Valdivia by hand. Available at the airport in the duty free area near gate 12.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,432 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

I love the wooden bowls of every size, made out of native wood. These are typical of the south but can be found in most places which sell handcarafts in Santiago. I have everything from small ones for peanuts to a huge one which fits salad for twenty. Here are some examples:

www.artesaniasdechile.cl/artes2/madera.htm

Baskets are another favourite of mine. there are many types, made out of different plants. Here are a few:

www.artesaniasdechile.cl/artes2/cesteria.htm

Weaving:

www.artesaniasdechile.cl/artes2/textil.htm

And, of course, silver:

artesaniasdechile.cl/artes2/orfebreria.htm

And here are some places to buy these things in Santiago (and one place in Puerto Varas):

www.artesaniasdechile.cl/artes2/locales.htm

Two top end shops for very special crafts;

Pura, Isidora Goyenechea 3226, Las Condes, Santiago

Foike Monguel, Las Urbinas 30, Providencia

and in the Patio Bellavista, Constitucion 50, Local 29-30, Bellavista

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

I found the best jewellery to be found is at the airport...some lovely pieces, although slightly more expensive, its well worth your effort to wait.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

I agree. The most concentrated place with the best choices of lapis lazuli is at the airport in the shops past security. There is a very nice shop before security that has another store in the duty free area with the same merchandise. There are many items made with the stone besides the jewelry. I have a beautiful lapis and mother of pearl penguin I bought in Valparaiso on our first trip. He is staring at me from a shelf right now as I type this. I have seen similar penguins and turtles, etc at the airport. Very pricey, but gorgeous.

At the airport we bought the following:

 A lapis lazuli and silver salchicha (dachshund dog) pin for my Mom since she has a miniature dachshund. It was $35 US.

 A silver ring with the the Diaguita tribe design of Northern Chile. It was $25 US. It is the design you will see everywhere with little stick figures of people and llamas. It has tiny insets of colored stone that make up their dress. It is so nice that you get a blue, lapis colored suede bag with the jewelry. It would be possible to give the item as a gift without even gift wrapping.

 A coffee mug with the word Chile made out of aji peppers and penguins.

 12 boxes of Entrelagos brand alfajores and bon bons from Valdivia. (We went to the store in Valdivia our last trip and fell in love with their chocolates.) The boxes are wooden.

 A box of Entrelagos marzipan candy ($8.50 US) The store is near gate 12.

 2 boxes of 12 count boxes of Havana alfajores $11 US for 12 or $6 for 6. The Havana store is further down past Ruby Tuesdays.

At Patio Bellavista recommended by Dancingmolly I bought a penguin lapis lazuli silver pen/pendant for about $35 US and a silver necklace with lapis beads for $30US for the penguin to go on. Here is the thread with the address. There are several very nice shops there. I bought the two pieces are different stores. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294305-i2020-k560…

At the end of one of the streets near a main thoroughfare in Bellavista there are temporary booths selling crafts. (I think the street may have been Pionono but I am not sure.) I found an artist who had taken silverware and turned it into jewelry. I bought a pendant made from the end of a silver spoon with an inset lapis stone for $10 US. I also bought a bracelet made from Chilean pesos from the 20s with lapis inset stones for $15 US. I could kick myself for not buying more pieces from him. I should have bought all he had. I am sorry that I don’t have his name or the exact address.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

By the way RR, you can buy Chocolates Entreglagos in Valdivia. There is a beautiful store with those fine tasty art pieces.

In Valdivia you can find as well best chilean beers for sure.

Kunstmann Bier is famous in all Chile, but in Valdivia you can go to the brewery.

Another very good beer in Valdivia is Valdbier, only available in Santiago in some bars and restaurants.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

Gazpachon

In fact we went to Valdivia on a previous trip. I have photos I should post. However, I will say it is a long drive to go to Valdivia and the Kuntsmann Brewery from Santiago. I am glad we did it , but I am not willing to do it again. We were very interested in the Kuntsmann Brewery since both I and my husband are from German ancestry. It is interesting to me that South Chile is very similar to south Georgia, USA. It may be because the distance from the equator is almost exactly the same distance. In the area there is even the red dirt and pine trees.

We found very little to do in Valdivia and it was hard to find accomodations. We did find a Bed and Breakfast after searching all afternoon. The main hotel, Hotel Pedro de Valdivia was closed for the season.

The German Museum in Frutillar was the highlight of the trip, IMO. I have to wonder if maybe some of my German relatives went to Chile in the mid 1800s.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best buys and souvenirs from Chile

Bump back to the top for those interested and perhaps some new suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about Santiago