We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salad Days

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Salad Days

This Friday's supplement, Wiken, in El Mercurio had an article about salads in Santiago. Much as Toid did with the Thai restaurants, I thought I'd pass on some of the places mentoned which are known to me, now that the days are hot. These are main dish salads, not side orders and have a good proportion of greens to other ingredients. All are in Providencia or the part of Las Condes next to Providencia.

Pita, Crepes & Waffles, Boulevard Parque Arauco, Mall Parque Arauco, and other locations, 14 salads which cost between $2950 and $3550. There is a good salmon one.

El Huerto, Orrego Luco 054, seven options, between $3400 and $4100 This is the best vegetarian restaurant in Santiago and all their food is excellent.

Le Flaubert, Orrego Luco 125, $3900 to $4900. This small restaurant is seldom mentioned but is very nice. Same street as El Huerto on the other side of the street. Great winter soups and a nice afternoon tea.

Two of the 'create your own salad' variety:

Soup, Salad and Bowls, Isidora Goyenechea 3185, There are different prices depending on ingredients, aprox. between $ 2500 and $3900. This is a good street for restaurants.

Oh! Salad Garden, Tobalaba 477, Nueva de Lyon 97 and San Sebastian 2948. Depending on ingredients, $2390 to $2690. Ingredients include every sort of vegetable and turkey, cheese, chicken, tuna etc.

Another option is Tavelli, several locations (Andres de Fuenzalida 36l in Providencia and the corner of Tenderini and Agustinas downtown, just to mention two), which does very good salads. Not specifically a salad, but their shrimp brochette (2 brochettes) with a lettuce, avocado and tomato salad is a very good light lunch.

There were lots of other places mentioned in the article but I don't know them. Please add any others you know which are good.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salad Days

A dish I enjoyed several times was Palta Reina which is avocado stuffed with chicken salad. I don't have any particular place to recomend to get it but it seems to be on most restaurants menus.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salad Days

Sweet, I can't stand eating really unhealthy restaurant food too many times in a row.. these places sound like nice option that won't have me feel like I'm eating rabbit food..

and right in my neighborhood.. good to know I'll be living next to the hippies of santiago!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salad Days

No hippies, pelkey! Office workers, housewives and friends out for lunch.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salad Days

Chileans are big on salads - most restuarants will offer a variety both to accompany a meal or as a meal in itself.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salad Days

We ordered cold asparagus and avocado salad almost every day. The size of the asparagus spears is amazing but they are tender.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salad Days

cool, bring on the legumes!

I love avo and asparagus, any great "chilean vegetable" I should know about?.. something we obviously don't have here in the states..

got a picture?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salad Days

You can always try cardo salad (a thistle). Not served fresh as a salad are granados - a bean. There are a number of fruits - not common in the US - chirimoya, lucuma, murta, tuna (prickly pear), and nisperos. What is available depends on the time of year.

8. Re: Salad Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 20, 2009