We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Santiago to La Serena by bus

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
from Santiago to La Serena by bus

Hi,

we will arrive at Santiago airport at 8.40 am - after a long flight. I would like to take the next bus to La Serena, but I am not sure whether this is possible.

How much time will we need approximately from the airport to the bus terminal? And what if the next bus is booked out? (We are talking of mid October).

Can I book the bus ticket in advance, from outside Chile?

Thanks in advance, kind regards

Meggie

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

You cannot book a bus from outside Chile unless you have a Chilean credit card. I would not worry about getting a bus. Thee are buses leaving every 20 minutes.

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

Thanks - but every 20 minutes, are you sure? Somewhere else I have read that there are direct busses from Santiago to La Serena only 3 or 4 times a day.

Kind regards

Meggie

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

Every 20 minutes certainly not. But there are many busses from 6 or 7 different companies. I don t know when is the latest one at night. It is impossible to buy on the web for foreigners.

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

Hi Toid,

I have checked TurBus, and you are right: at certain times there are buses every 20 minutes - incredible!

Since you seem to know a lot, may I ask you another question:

Do you have any idea how much time it takes from the airport to the TurBus terminal by either bus or taxi? One hour by taxi or two hours by bus - is this a realistic assumption? (Our plane lands at 8.40 am)

And if we take a taxi: Do you know how much it would cost approximately to go to the TurBus terminal?

Last and most important question:

Is it possible to let a Chilean person make an online reservation for us, so that we only have to get the reserved tickets at the booth?

I am afraid that we might have to wait for hours at the terminal if several busses are booked out - or do you think this is unlikely?

Kind regards

Meggie

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

A taxi would take around 20 minutes and the bus 30. It does not stop before the terminal. You could get someone to buy tickets, but you should have no problem in getting a bus.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

I am sure you won't have a problem buying the ticket on arrival at the bus station. Last year in high season I got off the plane, took the airport bus to the bus station and was on the first bus out to Ovalle.

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

Thanks, Toid. That's great, sounds reassuring.

Since it seems to be so easy to reach the bus terminal (were you talking of the Tur Bus Terminal by the way?), we decided to go there without reservation and try to catch the next bus.

I have read in a very old tripadvisor-post that there is a Tur Bus shuttle, going from the airport to the Tur Bus terminal. Does this shuttle still exist? Is this the bus you were talking of?

Thanks also to Londinense and to Pierre W.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

There are two bus companies serving the airport and Turbus is one of them. Both stop at the Alameda terminal, so it doesn't matter which one you take. Pullman probably has buses to La Serena as well.

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

@ Londinense:

Great, thanks so much, this was really helpful!

Kind regards

Meggie

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from Santiago to La Serena by bus

There are two bus stations in adjacent blocks, the Terminal Alameda and the Terminal Santiago. The Alameda is the station for Turbus and Pullman with other companies using the Santiago. If you get the Turbus airport bus to the last stop, which is in their station, you can see about tickets there first. There are shared shuttles which take you wherever you want to go but it is hardly worth taking one to the bus stations.

Be very careful of your belongings inside all bus stations.