We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

We will be in Santiago overnite and for a full day in June and wanting to make the most of it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Wondering where is a central area to stay.

Also our stay will be for a Sunday and wondering if shops/ attractions /markets etc are open.

Thanks for any advice

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

Museums, attractions and markets are open on Sundays, usually closed Mondays. There are exceptions if it is a holiday on the Sunday.

You could do a free (for tips) walking tour in the morning, lunch somewhere nice, return to visit anything on the walk which interested you or take the metro to Lo Dominicos to visit the craft market. Many restaurants close on Sunday evenings but there are enough open to have a nice dinner as well.

sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

Thankyou so much for your suggestions. Knowing that things are open on sunday is great!!!

Any ideas of a good central location to stay?

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

"Providencia" is a good place to stay, is not to far of turistic sites, and is more safe to go out in night than the city center or others places more near to the turistic sites.

If you need a guide in santiago, you can contact me.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

Check out Cerro Santa Lucia, the mercado central, and the Bellavista neighborhood. My husband and I hit all of these spots on one long walk from Providencia. The market that dancing molly mentioned was also really great for souvenir shopping.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

I recently spent 24 hours in Santiago and I stayed in Providencia. I went to the Human Rights museum (my degree and my line of work) and rode the funicular. I also roamed the streets of Belavista checking out some great street graffiti. I walked around Plaza de Armas area (the square is getting repaired so some closed off). Went to the Clinic for dinner, a pub owned by a political satire magazine. I enjoyed the city.

Edited: 10:25 pm, April 05, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

Bring you own toilet paper! It sounds weird, but in Chile and most South American countries more often than not you will not into a washroom to find that there is no toilet paper.

Providencia is a nice area, clean and generally safe.

Confiteria Torres is a nice cafe to visit, with clean washrooms. I can't remember if the waiters there speak English or not though.

Metro is fast and a great way to get around, however it can be very busy.

If you do some shopping, be careful. Thieves will cut off the handle of the bag and run off your with purchase.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

What an interesting comment about the toilet paper. I don't think I have ever been in s Ladies' here where there was no paper! The toilets in the petrol stations on the highway sometimes have a large dispenser outside the cubicles but there has always been paper. Can't speak for the Gents"!

To find an English speaking waiter would be a luxury. Obviously this is a Spanish speaking country, but also 90% of the tourists who visit Chile speak Spanish or Portuguese. There are restaurants where you find someone who speaks English so it is worth asking if you feel the need but it isn't the norm.

8. Re: One day in Santiago - any suggestions???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 08, 2015