We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety and Crime?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safety and Crime?

So, I'm finally going back to Santiago after almost 30 years of being in the States. While I know that the capital as a whole is generally safe, I've been warned to not act like a tourist (e.g. no cameras) and to keep things like cell phones out of sight. Is this well-intended warning overhyped?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety and Crime?

I'm hoping to hear from those living in Santiago... Toid? DancingMolly?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety and Crime?

Briefly yes. One sees lots of tourists and local with cameras and of course are always using cell phones in the street and walking along holding them in their hands.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety and Crime?

Briefly yes. One sees lots of tourists and local with cameras and of course are always using cell phones in the street and walking along holding them in their hands.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety and Crime?

I change handbag to one which has a strap across my chest when I take the metro to the centre of the city, but I wear my watch (it isn't a fancy one anyway). I see lots of people on the metro on their smartphones, though I imagine they don't do that at rush hour. I am an urban sort of person, so I am used to large cities, but not everyone is. I think you have to be careful, but not paranoid.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety and Crime?

Thank you both! I appreciate your candor and perspective!

Cheers!

Pinjarra, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety and Crime?

I feel safer here than in Melbourne, Australia. Just need to be smart about your belongings.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety and Crime?

Santiago is safer than most large cities in the States.

I am a photographer and I carry a bag full of cameras and lenses worth thousands of euros.

I never had any serious problems in Santiago or elsewhere in Chile during my 22 days visit a few years ago.

Use your common sense as you would in any large city.

Lafayette Hill...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety and Crime?

I would avoid Bellavista and the older parts of the city due to the extreme number of homeless dogs. These areas are filled with many homeless dogs and it is heartbreaking. Many do not look healthy and they follow you around. Also homeless dogs and traffic do not mix and our driver ran over a homeless dog in the road. It was one of the most awful experiences of my life – the screams of the poor dog. And the driver did not even want to stop to see if it needed attention but told us it meant nothing – just a stray dog. Clearly Santiago needs to find a compassionate solution to this large homeless dog problem that would include spay/neutering and animal shelters so these dogs can have a chance at adoption. Until this happens, I would avoid these areas because of what you are likely to see.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety and Crime?

Dogs dont steal cameras, though. And they are all over the city, not just Bellavista.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety and Crime?

Most of the dogs aren't homeless. Although they shouldn't, their owners let them out during the day. Visitors are obviously not aware of the huge efforts each municipality makes to deal with the problem. There are many spaying programs and adoption Sundays are held frequently for unclaimed dogs. Since Bellavista has been mentioned, look at the people feeding them scraps at outdoor tables and you will understand why they gravitate to certain areas, Dogs which get run over tend to be pets out for the day. Street dogs cross with pedestrians. But Peterscot is right, they don't mug you and bites are rare.